Fake (stainless-steel) Rocket Appartamento? Grey boiler on a new machine?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
purlstone11

#1: Post by purlstone11 »

Hi everyone,

Posting here because I'm truly baffled at this. I bought a new Appartamento Nera from an official rocket dealer in the USA. I wanted to take a peek at the inside and I was shocked to see it doesn't look like its all copper? Not even the boiler looks copper. Every single video I've seen on this machine shows copper (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIebBFRrunM, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSdjl0UEaDU). There's only a few pipes that look copper compared to this dull silver.

Does anyone know what this looks like? My only thought is that this is stainless steel and somehow this is fake or something is going on? What do I do lol.

Thank you for looking and for any help.

Austin

ira
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ira »

It's likely either stainless or plated copper.

Ira

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

From the look of the weld on the boiler, my guess is that it's stainless, although there's some curious coloration on the boiler that I can't explain. I see that the piping appears to be a mixture of bare copper and something else. I hazard a guess that ones that aren't bare copper are plated copper. I don't think anything about the machine suggests that the machine is necessarily ersatz. More likely, Rocket has made some engineering changes.

Pressino

#4: Post by Pressino »

I'm curious why the boiler doesn't seem to be insulated. :?

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baristainzmking »

The appartamento's boiler has never been insulated.
Julia

Graymatters

#6: Post by Graymatters »

Why not voice your concerns to the dealer from whom you purchased the machine?

purlstone11 (original poster)

#7: Post by purlstone11 (original poster) » replying to Graymatters »

I did. I called and they told me I must be looking at it wrong and that obviously the inside of the machine is brass/copper looking. I sent them some photos of it but I have not heard back from them yet explaining why it is this way.

It's possible that Rocket is doing something different all the sudden. Just haven't seen it and wanted to see what people's thought were :)

purlstone11 (original poster)

#8: Post by purlstone11 (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:From the look of the weld on the boiler, my guess is that it's stainless, although there's some curious coloration on the boiler that I can't explain. I see that the piping appears to be a mixture of bare copper and something else. I hazard a guess that ones that aren't bare copper are plated copper. I don't think anything about the machine suggests that the machine is necessarily ersatz. More likely, Rocket has made some engineering changes.
Yes I've been thinking it might be plated copper... Will report back if I hear from Rocket or the dealer as the product page just states copper.

homeburrero
Team HB

#9: Post by homeburrero »

Like Nunas, I thought those welds did look like stainless, but noticed that their copper boiler (pictured below) had similar looking welds. I know Rocket's sister company has gone over to T.E.A. coated boilers* in their new Stone machines. My bet is that it's the old copper boiler with a T.E.A. coating.

* To see the T.E.A boiler in the new Stone machine, skip ahead to 4:30 in the video in this post: Stone-Espresso new Rocket side company targets "younger crowd"
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

homeburrero wrote:To see the T.E.A boiler in the new Stone machine, skip ahead to 4:30 in the video...
For easy reference, here's a screen grab:

You're right, it has the same color and texture as the boiler photo in the first post.
Dan Kehn