Advice Request: Faema Eurostar Professional - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Elliahhtt

#11: Post by Elliahhtt »

Do you know the size of the portafilter for this machine? Is it the 57mm one used for their other machines, or does it have an e61 group that takes a 58mm portafilter?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing replying to Elliahhtt »

Neither. It does take a 58mm portafilter, but it does not use the E-61 group. It uses what is sometimes called the 'ring' brew group. There are many variants of the ring group, both in features, size/capacity, and performance. Essentially the group is a Silvia competitor. You'll find variants in many lower-end 'prosumer' machines - for example, current models from Lelit, Profitec, ECM, Quick Mill, etc. use (better) variants of the group, both in single-boiler-dual-use configuration and in double boiler machines.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Elliahhtt

#13: Post by Elliahhtt »

Thanks! I really just don't see much about this machine, which seems to make it hard to find replacement parts. I've found a used one for sale that is pretty much stock, so I looked for compatible bottomless portafilters and baskets and seals, and I just don't see anything to reference.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

AFAIK, the machines were only sold under that brand name in Canada (except Quebec) by Toronto dealer faema.ca - and they stopped importing/selling these machines years ago. They only sell Italian Faema's now (which is now just a brand of Cimbali).

(A long time ago importers would take the name of the brand they sold, which is why there is a chain of Faema stores in Toronto and a Faema in Montreal and neither is related to each other or related to the Faema brand in Italy.)

As posted above, the actual machines were made by IMAT in Italy, which still exists as a maker of white-box machines for a variety of companies http://imatsrl.it/pag/home.asp

While the parts are generic Italian, unfortunately it is difficult to say what fits what with any certainty unless you measure what you have. Fortunately in Canada the huge size of the Italian diaspora means that there are espresso machine stores in most major cities. However, these old brick & mortar stores are not going to have parts online. Baskets are pretty generic, but seals and compatible portafilters are a case of "go to the store" and see what matches. Lelit has plenty of distribution in Canada and uses a variant of the group, as did Ascaso for many years, but I still wouldn't buy without comparing what is in my hand with what is in the shop.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Elliahhtt

#15: Post by Elliahhtt »

Thanks again! I'm in the boonies in Tillsonurg, ON looking for a setup for the in-laws' place, which brought me across several Faema machines, but it seems like I should just focus on finding something more broadly available like a Gaggia or Silvia to avoid hours of driving and investigation.

I appreciate you sharing your info.

Eaglebiker (original poster)

#16: Post by Eaglebiker (original poster) »

I went by the Faema store in Mississauga Ontario. They still sell a version of the Eurostar Professional there. I don't know how similar it is to this one internally. They were able to give me the parts I needed.