Faema E61 group differences

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
m3xo

#1: Post by m3xo »

Hello!
I'm about to get an e61, but unfortunately it's 2000km away and I can't see it live.
My question is what is the difference between these two types of groups.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The picture appears to show two identical, standard E61 groups. Each levetta (handle) manually operates the internal three way valve of its group, and both are connected via the rod to the pump switch. This is a normal configuration for some Spanish manufactured machines.

What differences are you concerned about?
Jim Schulman

m3xo (original poster)

#3: Post by m3xo (original poster) »

The shape of the flange with which they engage is different in the groups from the two pictures. I've read that there are clones of the original bands, but I never understood what the difference was with the originals.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

The loose groups have triangular mounting flanges and the one's on the machines are filled in on the bottom of the flange, so closer to rectangular. It's subtle and took me a while to see, no clue what it means though.

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

The two groups pictured laying on the counter have the typical Faema shape (for original E-61 as well as newer Legend) as shown in a Faema parts list below. After looking at lots of online images I'm pretty sure the two groups mounted on the pictured machine are replacements. But I'm clueless as to whether they may have other differences besides the shape of the flange.

Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

m3xo (original poster)

#6: Post by m3xo (original poster) »

From what I've heard so far from colleagues on Facebook, the difference is primarily the rear shape and then the length of the inner pins and the cam that drives them. The ones with triangular shape are original, the others are aftermarket production as spare parts. They say there is no difference in the quality of the coffee.

DJF

#7: Post by DJF »

For a time Pavoni made an almost identical head but with proprietary differences, presumably for patent. Some parts look identical but are not interchangeable eg, refer to coffeeparts website.

Sometimes if a head has been rechromed the plater will polish out deep scratches which can change the shape of the mounting flange.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."