Experience with Weber Unibasket - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
EvanOz85

#31: Post by EvanOz85 »

Anyone had much success with 18g light roasts with the Unifilter/basket using SSP 98mm HU burrs? I'm having to grind pretty much at burr rub to get anything that's not a semi-turbo shot. Though the turbo shots with these burrs taste great, so maybe that's just how they're meant to be used?

dixi08
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by dixi08 »

Do you have a P100?
Cause I was debating getting the unibasket or not and I also have a P100.
Getting close to burr touch seems crazy and not very good for the grinder cause it gonna wear out the motor.
Right now I'm using VST 18g with weber 55m paper filter and my espresso range on the P100 is 1.3 to 1.0 for light to medium light roast. VST have far less holes though, so more resistance.
Did you try using a VST + paper filter before getting the Unibasket? I'm curious about the taste difference.

I'm considering getting the unibasket for taste cause I'm pretty sure it gonna taste a touch better, but more because I use 55m filter paper with my VST and they are like $13 CDN for 100 filters (which last a month) and you can get 1000 58mm filters as good as the Weber one for like $29.
Getting a unibasket gonna be economical at the end after, good excuse to get one isn't it? :lol:

But seriously, the thing that improve the extraction the most in this high extraction filter trend to me is more so the paper filter at the bottom. It does really make a big difference. Even Lance Hedrick talked about it in one of his video. Your are 90% there with a VST and paper filter. I hope other brand start doing those 55mm filter cause I was joking about getting a Unibasket to save money if you already use 55mm paper filters, but it is actually true.

mathof

#33: Post by mathof »

dixi08 wrote:Do you have a P100? ... Did you try using a VST + paper filter before getting the Unibasket? I'm curious about the taste difference.
I have a Kafatek Flat with SLM burrs, a Unifilter and a long history of using VST baskets, with and without paper filters.

I've conducted taste comparisons between my VST baskets with paper filters and the Unifilter. For me, the Unifilter espresso tastes sweeter and a touch more refined.

dixi08
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by dixi08 »

Thanks a lot for the feedback, very helpful!

Just know that you are gonna be responsible for this next expense! Your fault Matt, your fault! :lol:

NYFilter93

#35: Post by NYFilter93 »

Has anyone found a good collar for WDT on the Unibasket? I've tried the Barista hustle and the SWORKS ones, but both cause the coffee to go over the edge when WDTing.

Extractor7

#36: Post by Extractor7 »

Does anyone have both the unifilter and unibasket? Any real in-cup differences or other practical things that might favour one over the other?

BaristaBob

#37: Post by BaristaBob »

NYFilter93 wrote:Has anyone found a good collar for WDT on the Unibasket? I've tried the Barista hustle and the SWORKS ones, but both cause the coffee to go over the edge when WDTing.
Do you mean over the top of the funnel or between the basket and the funnel where they meet? I think you mean the latter. You have two excellent funnels, so my question back to you is; Is the Unibasket lip different than a standard basket (rolled)? I use the SworksDesign bullet basket and funnel and have no issues. Of course the basket is magnetic so this really helps. You could try a Decent Espresso funnel, they sit inside the basket.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

HeadHop

#38: Post by HeadHop »

Just got my Unibasket !
Works very well with P100 HU, I was before at 1,00 with VST 18g with bottom paper filter I'm now at 0,8.
Only a few shots so far with light roast, but I think the coffee is a bit sweeter (no blind tasting, probably confirmation bias)

Nonetheless even if it fits the the portafilter I can't fit the "retaining spring" ; have some of you succeeded to do so ?
(I'm using the Flair 58 portafilter)

NYFilter93

#39: Post by NYFilter93 »

https://weberworkshops.com/products/unibasket

Looks like Weber just released the baskets in multiples sizes (16, 20, 24 and 28) and dropped the price to $85.

They also released a naked portafilter

https://weberworkshops.com/products/buck

Extractor7

#40: Post by Extractor7 »

I wonder if they changed anything in the construction or materials to now drop the price in half? I found the original archived unibasket page on the 'wayback machine' before the new products and they seem identical in the information.