Experience with Weber Unibasket - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mctrials23

#21: Post by mctrials23 »

Spitz.me wrote:This basket reminds me of "high end" scales, tampers, distributors, WDT tools etc. There are people complaining about a $200 basket, but have a $300 scale and a $200 tamper.......
This is the reality of the matter. I say that paying that much for a basket/portafilter is madness but I have a LMLu, a P64 and acaia lunar scales. The realms of "value for money" were left behind a long time ago. I think perhaps we tell ourselves these are ridiculous to make ourselves feel better about the silly amounts we spend on this hobby. If you have a line in the sand, you can't be that crazy right?

BaristaBob

#22: Post by BaristaBob »

As I see it, I don't spend my money on booze, don't vape, don't do recreational drugs...just coffee and lots of bleeding edge tools!!

So, if the shoe fits...wear it...call me crazy! :lol:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Capuchin Monk

#23: Post by Capuchin Monk »

BaristaBob wrote:So, if the shoe fits...wear it...call me crazy! :lol:
There's nothing crazy about that. However, if the wearer of those shoes posts claims on forums that he can now outrun Usain Bolt, then all bets are off.

Andrewp

#24: Post by Andrewp »

I've just watched a vid on the Tube with Mr Weber and he's very convincing.
I've just recently purchased an EG1 after selling some body parts that were surplus on EBay Syria...a totally ridiculous cost but it wasn't compulsory and he's in business to make money.. I LOVE it!!
Here in New Zealand the Unifilter works out to be around $700 which is just totally bonkers!!
I do think there comes a time where the cost of something can't be over played and this is that occasion for me.

jdrobison

#25: Post by jdrobison »

I've only pulled a few shots so far. I'm using a coffee that I've become pretty familiar with over the past few weeks and have it very well dialed in how I like it and was surprised by such a noticeable change with the new basket. I could do a blind but I'm pretty sure I'll identify the Weber pretty easily. The sweet fruit of this Ethiopia is more pronounced.

So far what I don't like about the Unibasket is that it makes one helluva mess in a bottomless PF. I need a bowl to catch it all! I think it's gonna force me into a spouted PF - bummer.

Quester

#26: Post by Quester »

jdrobison wrote:So far what I don't like about the Unibasket is that it makes one helluva mess in a bottomless PF. I need a bowl to catch it all! I think it's gonna force me into a spouted PF - bummer.
Interesting. I'm not having that issue. For me, all the streams drip and then flow straight down into the cup. I usually end with three streams.

jdrobison

#27: Post by jdrobison replying to Quester »

Ya... Just realized it's most likely it's my prep - user error - since I just did a nickel test this morning and failed. As mtamatl originally noted, the shower screen is compressing my bed and it hadn't occurred to me that the coffee I'm currently using requires a very coarse grind so fills the basket too high. I should have checked the clearance but it just slipped my mind and I'm sure it's creating channeling, leading to the multiple streams. So... even more encouraging given I should be getting much fuller extraction once I have it dosed correctly.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by JB90068 »

I've had mine for ten days and made roughly 30 shots with it. The first three shots were tosser's. It was surprising how much finer - 8 clicks on my EG-1 - I needed to go. Around the 10th shot I started tasting parts of the roast that I hadn't with my VST's. Another 10 shots and I was getting consistency shot to shot. Shots were richer, had more flavor and a smoother finish. I was also detecting a sweetness that others have mentioned although I blew that off assuming I was succumbing to group think. Now after 30 shots and a dose of skepticism I am getting sweeter shots, not what I call sugary, just more well balanced. I think this was likely due to the fact that I followed a suggestion to pull the shot in 20-25 seconds instead of my normal 30-35. I figured this basket would have a learning curve to it and I'm glad I went through the process. When I ordered it, it was out of curiosity and perhaps some boredom. None the less I'll admit I had some skepticism about the hype of the Unifilter but figured what the heck, give the Unibasket a try. Well I'm convinced, it has been worth it and it is now my favorite and preferred basket. Is it a paradigm shift in flavor over the VSTs? No, but it is noticeable. I've only tried it with one of my preferred and most often consumed roasts, so we will see what I think after I've used my Key and some of my other favored roasts. My impression is that it will leave me very satisfied.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Wodan

#29: Post by Wodan »

Are you using the paper filters on the bottom?

And where did you hear to pull the shots in 20-25s? Was that from Weber?

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#30: Post by JB90068 »

Wodan wrote:Are you using the paper filters on the bottom?
Yes. I'm using the Weber filters.
Wodan wrote:And where did you hear to pull the shots in 20-25s? Was that from Weber?
I didn't hear this from Weber. I can't remember if I saw it posted here or on a thread on reddit. I tried it and found it works for me. On medium light roasts, I'll tend to go back to 30 seconds and use a flow profile where I'll try to mimic a lever shot - 9 bars at the group head down to 6 bars at the end of the shot...
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.