Espresso machine voltage conversion from 110V to 240V

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
aaronmaestri

#1: Post by aaronmaestri »

I was wondering what's involved with converting a machine from 110V US power to 240V Australian power? Is it just a case of swapping over the heating elements? I have a Bezzera Family lever that i am considering bringing with me when i move from New York to Sydney, but maybe its not worth the hassle and expense? any ideas if this is easy? difficult? expensive?
Does anyone know of a parts or service place that might be able to assist me?
cheers, A

'Q'

#2: Post by 'Q' »

You could alternatively go for a step down transformer to make things easy on yourself.

Paul

#3: Post by Paul »

yup. For 110v -> 240v element needs to be changed. Neon lights (if present) will be ok. Autofill box (if present) will need changing to a 240v one.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

Paul

#4: Post by Paul »

forgot - if you have an autofill box then the af solenoid coil will also need changing for a 240v one.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

jesawdy

#5: Post by jesawdy »

Paul-

Is power "Down Under" delivered in a 3-wire config - Hot (~240V), Neutral and Ground?

If so, I think a step down would be the simplest solution....
Jeff Sawdy

Paul

#6: Post by Paul »

Jeff - yeah, you're right. I hadn't looked at step down/up converters for years. Didn't realise that for only $90usd a 2 or 3kw convertor could be had (from Q's link above). Much better option, much cheaper than swapping bits.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

aaronmaestri (original poster)

#7: Post by aaronmaestri (original poster) »

I had originally thought i would go the step down transformer route, but was persuaded against it by someone. The only two electrical things under the hood in my Bezzera are the pressurestat and the element. I wasnt sure if i would need a new pressurestat or not, Is the voltage over the relay switch critical?
The other thing that has concerned me was availability of parts in Australia. Paul, your name has come up in connection to Bezzera Familia parts down under in another post, is this the case? I have never had a response from my emails to the Bezzera Australia website so i guess thats not promising.
Thanks for the advise everyone, its been very helpful

aaronmaestri (original poster)

#8: Post by aaronmaestri (original poster) »

Wow, i just looked up stepdown transformers in australia and a 3000W one is around the $400 mark, guess i'll be buying one here then. Also what wattage should i be looking at? I have the espresso machine and a Mazzer super jolly grinder that will be plugged in and running at the same time.

Paul

#9: Post by Paul »

a quick check on coffeeparts.com tells me that your element is 1350w. I dunno about the mazzer. Maybe 300w? I should think a 2kw converter would be fine (but welcome correction :D )
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

jesawdy

#10: Post by jesawdy »

The Mazzer would be 300-350W, IIRC.
Jeff Sawdy