Espresso machine clogging randomly in between shots - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bgnome

#11: Post by bgnome »

mixespresso wrote:I have just checked and the seal is a bit damaged. So, that might be it...
Strangely, I had replaced it 2-months ago or so. (I wonder if the PF might be damaging the seal)

I have seen quite a few images of damaged gaskets from Breville machines lately. They seem to use a similar style silicone gasket. Seems to be an installation issue..

mixespresso (original poster)

#12: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

gasket replaced and the issue went away.

Not sure of why I had to replace it twice in such a short space of time, but I am a happy man again :D

Thanks!

#13: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Hi!

I bought a new bottomless PF I am having issues again with mad water dripping from the top of the PF.

When I use the new bottomless PF in my DeLonghi machine I get the same issues I was having when I started this thread... which were solved by changing the gasket.

To isolate the problem between PF, basket or gasket issues, I took the new basket that came with new PF, and I put it in the original DeLonghi PF and there were no problems at all, so the issue is not related to the basket nor the gasket ?

As a summary, using same DeLonghi machine, same coffee
Shot1: New PF + New basket -> A sealing problem with water dripping from the top of the PF
Shot2: Original DeLonghi PF + New basket -> All OK

Does that make sense? Any ideas?

Thanks!

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#14: Post by cafeIKE »

Thicker gasket?

If you set the PFs face down on a counter, the ears are likely different heights.

#15: Post by mixespresso (original poster) » replying to cafeIKE »

Interesting, I did not know that you could get gaskets of different thicknesses.

kris772
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by kris772 »

Are you talking about a different pf HOLDER (the thing with the handle that you clip the basket into). Different holders have wildly different ears and may not lock in as well as the original - may have to be locked more tightly, or possibly not work at all (can't get it tight enough). I don't know if you can get different gasket thicknesses for a delonghi. People may be used to thinking that you can with an E61, but may be non-existant for other brewheads. Even with a 58mm group, many holders are NOT cross compatable. And sometimes baskets as well...
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

#17: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

yes, the PF holder. The ears are different indeed

I will try to see if I can get it tighter somehow

#18: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Is there any way to block the basket, so I can do "fitting" tests without wasting coffee?

kris772
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by kris772 »

Things like this are available but no idea if you could get one that would fit that pf basket.
edit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TBXGCVS?ps ... ct_details

These are about 50mm and are intended for a "58mm" "double" "common" filter basket bottom.

Maybe make one yourself?
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

#20: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

I just removed the gasket and the screen and then put it back again, as I had noticed that the screen was not levelled...

It went from crazily splashing water to just leaking... so yes, it is about finding a way to properly lock it