Espresso drive-thru owner needs plumbing help

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
lisamarie

#1: Post by lisamarie »

I'm dying for help here please! I also have an answer to a question on here about the drain & additional fittings , hence the shorter legs , lack of space to counter from machine..I went to lowes, and put one together from the sprinkler aisle parts..go figure..w 3 random pieces - an elbow type attached to a couple more , it fits and no leaks !! :) yay.! Sounds odd but it works. Look into it if you haven't already.
(Yes I'm late on this post, but for future ref)
***Here's my question , i would truly appreciate any help here !
I have a small espresso drivethru in Seattle. Today I purchased a used "refurb" magister es70 . I have been operating on a flojet water pressure pump for several years with a semi auto 3 group bravo * way too big & gave out on me after 14 yrs. I bought this today from a shop. He knew I operated on 5gal korny kegs for water - no plumbing. W a pressure pump. When I hooked up the water line today , it was spraying out of the fittings. Right at the hose tube from pressure pump system. I tried abt 12 fittings & a washer to stop this excruciating spraying/ flooding into a bucket. It did not stop. Of course the guy wouldn't answer the phone after i bought , but sent a text with more fittings to try , i tried way too many over and again and failed miserably. This has never happened , i even tried the old water hose from other machine- it also sprayed at the same location , seeming like pressure spray. Finally i gave up ! i turned off machine after trying this for many hours ..i cannot see water level in this machine and obviously don't want to operate it without knowing water level. (I'm used to a water level gauge ..there isn't one :(
I'm no tech, but I know some basics. Really just basics. Water lines , drain lines , hooking , unhooking, gaskets , etc... 23 yrs barista. 4 yrs as an owner fyi **nightmare . I'm at the point where the only idea I have left is it cannot handle this pressure pump. Or its too much pressure. Not sure . Am i right ? It sounds and seems as such, the bar pressure is at least 30 % less than I have ever seen on a machine 6bars max on gauge. My other pulled shots at 9 or 12bar..I believe. Anyway .. Business is closed , losing customers and money. Any suggestions! ??? How do I get the water into the machine from the tank I use?? Help would be highly appreciated ! Thank u in advance! I need to get open for business again.

...split from Convert E61 to plumb-in: Why can't it be done? by moderator...

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

lisamarie wrote:Business is closed , losing customers and money. Any suggestions! ???
Call a plumber? Explain your situation and remind them to bring lots of fitting adapters. They'll charge you one hour labor + parts, but you'll be back in business before lunchtime.
lisamarie wrote: I also have an answer to a question on here about the drain & additional fitting... I went to lowes, and put one together from the sprinkler aisle parts..go figure..w 3 random pieces - an elbow type attached to a couple more , it fits and no leaks !! :) yay.! Sounds odd but it works. Look into it if you haven't already.
If you're lucky, you may find a retired plumber wandering the halls of the big box stores. But for future reference, I find the smaller plumbing supply stores more helpful for tricky items, though I have to be really patient since their typical clientele are plumbing professionals. If the staff are too busy or just grumpy, more times than not a friendly local plumber will walk in and tolerate a question or two at no charge. :)
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

. . . it was spraying out of the fittings.
A picture is worth a lot of words so please post a pic. If you find this a problem, email me the pic and I will post for you while you learn.

Also, the particular pump you are using (please provide make/model) SHOULD discharge into an accumulator (2 gallon size recommended) and then on to the espresso machine via a pressure regulator. The vibration pump needs a special fitting on its inlet - see below - available from Espresso Parts in Seattle.

https://www.espressoparts.com/7mm-barb- ... on-fitting
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

When you say Flojet are you referring to the unit with a built in wand to draw water from a jug or a stand alone Flojet pump? (They make many pumps besides the unit specifically designed to work with water jugs.) If it's the water jug model it's not possible for it to be delivering too much pressure for fittings, it's rated 30psi operating max 40psi.

Personally I wouldn't call a plumber but rather a competent espresso machine tech.
Edit: Espresso machine tech with experience at least a dozen installs...
Mike McGinness