Eric's thermometer adaptor for non-E61 espresso machines

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jammin

#1: Post by jammin »

does anyone know if the Bezzera bz07 can be fitted with one of these thermometers?

looking at pictures it looks like it could but I am not sure.

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

Doesn't have an E-61 group, so that screw in the grouphead might be different then the bolt in the E-61.

however, you might contact HB Member EricS. . . Hes the guy who makes the E-61 grouptherm, as well as a few other temperature mods. He might be able to make something for you, or maybe he has something already.

jammin (original poster)

#3: Post by jammin (original poster) »

Jman - you always come through brotha!

thx for the tip:)

Nauti

#4: Post by Nauti »

Jammin - And, already news? I'm also interested in installing a thermometer on my BZ07.

Jacob

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Unfortunately, it is NOT possible to install one of my Digital Thermometer Adaptor Kits into the Bezzera BZ07 - at least not now.

However, this is a beautifully constructed machine that APPEARS to pull a pretty good shot if you let her warm up for about an hour and dose in the 14.0 to 14.5 gram range. The grouphead is fitted with a 50 watt resistive heater that is thermostatically controlled (on/off) necessary because it sorta "hangs out" in the front with no thermosyphon system to keep things toasty.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Nauti

#6: Post by Nauti »

Well, I'm kinda curious to measure what the temperature swing (if any) of the head is and I would like to measure and fine tune the flush routine.

My shots are usually in the 15-15,5g area with good results (but dosing more is also possible) , I switched to a LM filter though because the standard double filter was not happy with dosages above 14,5 (depending on the grind and coffee used of course) because it did not leave much headroom.

pity that I cannot use your kit! would have saved a lot of trouble :)

Spironski

#7: Post by Spironski »

Now I am puzzled: in this thread, Jim Schulman says this:
The BZ07 is a standard HX machine using the standard Bezzera group. However, there are three versions of the Bezzera group, one that bolts to a plate attached to the boiler (BZ02 and some commercial machines), one that is on a thermosyphon (another line of commercial machines), and a new one that is heated by a small 50 watt element running continuously (the BZ07)
Eric, can you tell me please how you come to say that the BZ07 group is "thermostatically controlled (on/off)"?

Here in Europe the BZ07 seems to sell quite well,.... could be a niche market for a grouphead thermometer? :wink:

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Because it has a "snap-action" thermostat SIMILAR to, say, the Rancilio Silvia, mounted onto the grouphead inside the machine's casing. In the pic below, item 33 is the 50 watt heater cartridge(s) and item 45 is the snap action thermostat.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

CRCasey

#9: Post by CRCasey »

How is that thermostat mounted in the group? Could be a nice way to mount a TC for actively adjusting the group's temp. Maybe full PID there would be overkill, but a temp read out with a SSR on the alarm contacts?

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

Nauti

#10: Post by Nauti »

If by controlling the group temperature one would also be capable of changing the brew temperature it would be kind of nice I reckon. Especially when there is also a TC in the group that measures the water....or am I getting to carried away here :D