Elizabeth heating/ready time

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

From when I turned the machine on, the bar under the temperature completed and then it blinks at the 201°--once it stopped blinking that is how I know (or think I know) that it is ready. That was 9 to 9 1/2 minutes. Normal?? Been reading and searching here, Youtube and hear the time is15-22 minutes to ready to use. Thanks.

emradguy

#2: Post by emradguy »

Let your machine warm for at least a half hour. It will allow the components to stabilize at your set temp. At the very least, feel the metal of your portafilter before pulling your first shot. If it's warm, it's not ready. It should feel hot, such that you immediately withdraw you hand when you touch it and feel like an idiot for even trying.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to emradguy »

Thanks, yes--the company I got it from says that despite it showing it is heated up to the temp. I have it set for to wait at least 15 minutes after turning it on to use. No problem waiting, just a little weird that if I set my temp for 201F, & the bar on the Elizabeth completes under the 201°, then it blinks for a bit, then it finally stops blinking & one would "think" it was then ready, but I definitely will wait. I did touch the grouphead & it did get to that point, "Yow". Thanks.

Smo

#4: Post by Smo »

During a cold start, the boiler heats up above 201 (your installation) to quickly warm up all parts.
During flashing 201, the boiler returns to normal temperature.

#5: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to Smo »

See, that's where is was confusing to me though because according to what I was initially told, once it stops flashing, you are ready to roll--but I thought ..... something can't be right because the googling I did basically told me, 'No, it won't be ready for 15-22 minutes after you turn it on". So, no big deal, it just was strange to me that it stopped blinking at only 9- 9 1/2 minutes after turning it on. Thanks.

emradguy

#6: Post by emradguy »

The problem is the light will go out (or the temp will stop flashing, whatever) when the water in the boiler is at the set temperature. Then the heat dissipates to the boiler wall, attached components, the group.... You have to give extra time for that to occur, because that dissipation will drop the water temp, and then the heating element will come back on. Once everything else has heated, the boiler temp will stabilize, and that is when it is ready.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Dealers' claims are often overly optimistic.

#8: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

emradguy wrote:The problem is the light will go out (or the temp will stop flashing, whatever) when the water in the boiler is at the set temperature. Then the heat dissipates to the boiler wall, attached components, the group.... You have to give extra time for that to occur, because that dissipation will drop the water temp, and then the heating element will come back on. Once everything else has heated, the boiler temp will stabilize, and that is when it is ready.
Thanks, your reply turned the lightbulb on in my brain. Awesome reply & I get it now.