Elektra T1 - #771 built in 2000 is now mine - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mhoy (original poster)

#81: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

The quality of these pictures is kind poor due to the light, sorry about that.

The old washer drops easily into place.

The new washer doesn't fit by about 1mm or so. I've offset it from the hole so you can actually see the difference.

I'll dig through my mess in the garage to see if I can find my calipers...
Mark

Paul

#82: Post by Paul »

awaiting your reply, in the meantime, a little thought . . .

sometimes, collapsible copper gaskets are used. These are like hollow o rings that crush to form a nice seal. I wonder if the old ones are like this.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

mhoy (original poster)

#83: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

Paul wrote:are the ID of the original and replacement washers the same? I've had this issue before and the replacements worked for me. Make sure there is no rubbish on the seats and I bet you'll be fine.
The seats are clean, how I wish it was just cleaning. The ID are different.

OK, dug through the garage for a while and found the Mitutoyo Digital Calipers. The truth shall be known...argh, out of batteries. Slight pause while I drive 5 miles to the all night drug store.

Old smaller washer
19.2 mm OD, 12.7 mm ID

New small washer
17.9 mm OD, 14.2 mm ID

Old larger washer
21.6 mm OD, 16.4 mm ID

New larger washer
23.2 mm OD, 17.5 mm ID

Hole size for the large washer is 21.6 mm.

Oddly, the pressure relief washer was a great fit, it's in place already so I don't want to remove it, but I mic'd from the edges of it and it seems to perfectly match the other old washer. So I got at least one of the right washers.

I'll work this out with my supplier tomorrow.
=-=-
Mark

mhoy (original poster)

#84: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

Paul wrote:awaiting your reply, in the meantime, a little thought . . .

sometimes, collapsible copper gaskets are used. These are like hollow o rings that crush to form a nice seal. I wonder if the old ones are like this.
[EDIT]You could be right, they have rounded corners while the new ones are very squared off. :shock: I guess I could chop open one open. [/EDIT]

BTW: Thanks for all the quick responses and help.
=-=-
Mark
EDIT: Changed my mind, they could be collapsible.

Paul

#85: Post by Paul »

no worries. all the best following up with the supplier.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

mhoy (original poster)

#86: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

Could an Elektra owner post a picture of the drip tray assembly? I'm curious if a more modern build has changed how the overflow from the 3-way valve connects into the unit. On my year 2000 build, there is a 'roundish' hold drilled into the plastic drip tray with a silicon hose inserted into this hole with the other end going to the 3-way.

Thanks,
Mark

cannonfodder
Team HB

#87: Post by cannonfodder »

My 3-way dumps directly into the drain line, not the drip tray catch basin.

Dave Stephens

mhoy (original poster)

#88: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

Thanks for the picture, that clears it up. I was looking at the mechanical schematics and for the life of me I didn't see the T part in the part. Stefano was pointing it out to me but I just didn't see it. I can see this as being better than what was in my system.

Mark

mhoy (original poster)

#89: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

Unfortunately the washers I just got gratis from Stefano are the smaller ones for the vacuum valve.
I've found an almost perfect match for my washer online, but the thickness is double the original.

Part#: 2054 ID: 16.3mm OD: 21.75mm Thickness: 2.15mm
See http://www.cgenterprises.com/gasket_size_cross.htm

Of course it's only 39 cents with a $6.00 shipping charge...

While I think about this, I decided to polish up the old washer. Smoothed out the side, with some fine emery cloth. Then annealed it with a torch. It's now very soft and probably OK to re-use.

Gad, is stainless steel every hard and a pain to polish. Got some more of the main cover done.
=-=-
Mark

cannonfodder
Team HB

#90: Post by cannonfodder »

If you weren't on the other side of the country I would give you a hand. I do some metal work and have a Foley Knife grinder and buffing wheels. Makes it a quick job.
Dave Stephens