Elektra T1 - #771 built in 2000 is now mine - Page 14

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JollyGreenBucket

#131: Post by JollyGreenBucket »

I have to agree with everyone else, this has been one of my favorite restorations I've seen. You are a lucky man, and that is one beautiful piece of espresso making art!

zin1953

#132: Post by zin1953 »

Mark, I have found this whole thread a truly worthwhile, entertaining, and enjoyable journey . . . even though I have a brand-new machine and know that I don't know enough to ever restore a machine myself. More than vicarious thrills (though there is that aspect, too, I'm sure), I am truly amazed at what you've achieved in relatively so short a period of time.

Bravo! Image Image Image
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

mhoy (original poster)

#133: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

Thanks for all the kind words. It's been an enjoyable and very enlightening. Perhaps I should change the thread title to "Rebuilding an Elektra T1, year 2000, #771".

Paul Pratt's web site and other great rebuild posts on HB (are what made me believe this was a doable task). It turned out to be easier than I expected with the major hurdles being small things like washer that didn't fit. :x I really appreciate all the feedback and help I got along the way. The HB forum has a great bunch of members. I've had help from across the US, Canada and New Zealand. In particular I'd like to thank Dave Stephens who answered numerous questions for me and his rebuild pictures that inspired me to do the same.

If anyone else wanders down the Elektra rebuild route, please feel free to ask me questions or ask for pictures as I took a lot of them while I was doing this and I'll try my best to help out.

I've changed my profile to "rebuilt Elektra" and added rebuilding "La Cimbali Cadet". So you know what I'll be doing for the next little while. (Aside from the bathroom vanity that just got ordered and the new slide in range we are looking at).
=-=-
Mark

cannonfodder
Team HB

#134: Post by cannonfodder »

Looks good. Something a bit more satisfying when you do it yourself. Now you just have to get the remodel finished and wire/plumb that girl in and let it run.

FYI, if you moth ball it for a month or two, make sure it stays above freezing (I have a machine with a ruptured HX from freezing) and the rotary pump will seize if it sits for a long time. When I shut my machine down (have to use one of the other machines now and then) I turn it on to run the pump for a few seconds every week, which keeps it from seizing.
Dave Stephens

dsc

#135: Post by dsc »

Hi Mark,

awesome thread:) I really enjoy reading rebuild reports and this one was a very good one, with a lot of photos and detailed description.

I should be getting my T1 this week so if I run into any problems I'll be sure to check your topic or simply send a PM with some questions:D

Cheers,
dsc.

mhoy (original poster)

#136: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

dsc: Thanks, I enjoyed writing about my progress and the feedback really helped. In particular, I'm really glad I put in a new safety overpressure valve and the missing over temperature switch. You can be sure I'll be feeding my Elektra soft water as I don't want to take it down to nuts and bolts again. :wink:

When your T1 arrives, start a thread and I'll be sitting back enjoying reading on your progress. There is something satisfying about seeing a machine brought back to life being used by someone who really enjoys it. I've a couple of hundred more pictures of various parts of the machine in various stages of disassembly that I used as reference while putting it back together. I've archived them, so I could reference them when needed. Yours is likely in much better shape than mine, so you may be able to do a simpler descale.

If you didn't get a manual, send email to Elektra in Italy via their website, they may send you one.

Mark

shadowfax

#137: Post by shadowfax »

Mark, seems like you need to post this archive to flickr! ;)
Nicholas Lundgaard

mhoy (original poster)

#138: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

If I was to move the side U shaped panel back by 1/4" and make a new ledge for it to catch on that was 1.5 " lower than it was currently and drill 4 holes on the side I could lower the top by 1.5". If I then put shorted legs on it I could fit it on my current kitchen counter.... then I could sell my Anita and get to using my newly restored beauty. I figure I need from 1/2" to 1" to fit the drainage pipe and water intake under the system. I was thinking of placing the machine next to my fridge and sending the plumbing off the side to behind the fridge where I could install a hidden soft water intake and a waste water return.

What size lines are you guys using to/from your Elektras?

This is a modification that is totally reversible and should cause no damage to anything (other than a couple of extra holes in the iron frame.

Your thoughts?

Mark

shadowfax

#139: Post by shadowfax »

mark, how much clearance under the cabinets would you end up with? If it's barely fitting, it's worth noting that there will be a lot of heat put out by the machine. I doubt that it would damage re cabinets unless they are low quality, but they might really heat up whatever is in the cabinets more than you might like...
Nicholas Lundgaard

mhoy (original poster)

#140: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

Good point.

If I insulate the boiler, at the 2/3 setting it's really similar to what my Anita is doing to the cabinets..... I could activate a small QUIET fan to help dissipate the heat.

Mark