Elektra T1 - #771 built in 2000 is now mine - Page 12

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
shadowfax

#111: Post by shadowfax »

Is the pump motor mounted on the side (the one opposite the part in the photo) or bottom? Seems like you would want to shift the pump to get it out of the way, or, heck, if it's a permanent installation (and at that weight, it has to be!), personally I would outboard it. You would just have to get longer, properly rated tubing and wires, and then you would have a nearly totally silent espresso machine. This is pretty common for machines. I believe that most La Marzoccos (other than the GS3, for example) have external pumps for a quieter installation in-house.

Barring that, I think you are right that you need to move it so it doesn't touch. Is there no more play in the mounts? My rotary pump is significantly smaller than yours, and it's very well-isolated, sitting on 1/2" thick rubber mounts to attach it to the frame. The way it vibrates the frame (albeit quietly) even on those mountings, I can imagine that a larger pump rattling against the frame will make a good bit of noise. But you've had it on already, right? What does it sound like?
Nicholas Lundgaard

mhoy (original poster)

#112: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

It was a bit noisy, but it was on a wire frame picnic table, so who really knows. :oops: Quieter than my Anita while pulling a shot though. (Yeah, I have to work on the OPV on the Anita). I'll see what I can do about adjusting the mounts, but they are large rubber bearings inside a metal ring so I'm not exactly sure how much they will move around.

I'll cycle power a couple more time to ensure all the coupling have seated. I'll be double checking I have no leaks, then I think I'll insulate the boiler with the melamine foam blanket. Seems cost effective, no particles, and a good insulator.

Unfortunately, I'm a ways from getting a nice place inside for my Elektra. :( A kitchen remodel needs to occur first and working on Elektra is way more fun.

Mark

shadowfax

#113: Post by shadowfax »

mhoy wrote:Unfortunately, I'm a ways from getting a nice place inside for my Elektra. :( A kitchen remodel needs to occur first and working on Elektra is way more fun.
I never thought I would say this, but, as fun as restoring an Elektra must be, not getting killed by your wife has it beat.
Nicholas Lundgaard

SylvainMtl

#114: Post by SylvainMtl »

Quick question,
your machine doesn't have a safety pstat near the heating element end of the boiler like the machine restored by stefano (http://www.espressocare.com/Rebuild.html). Has the pstat been simply removed from the design or you have it located somewhere else?

I'm asking because I just did a similar thing as you did this morning. I just bought an A3 from an internet Ad (I'll start a thread on mine soon I think). The machine I bought is dated 1997 and has the pstat but it is disconnected.

Oh.. and congratulations on the restoration nice work!

mhoy (original poster)

#115: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

The p-stat (which everyone recommended I replace is nicely shown on page 1 by Dave as "I- Boiler pressure release valve". The connection near the boiler goes to the fill solenoid. Take plenty of pictures, I have more if there is a particular item you need a larger/better look at.

BE very careful with your copper washers, you may end up needing to re-use them. I have a web site that has a link to the size you'll need, but shipping was way more than the washer and since mine is working, I'm not touching it. :D

The teflon gasket has also worked out well.

The one item that seems to be on the newer parts diagrams is a over temperature safety of some kind.
Page 4, Item 5, Element safety switch - monophase #02789035

Polishing stainless steel is a thankless job. I envy Dave Stephens, the polish on the straight razors is amazing (and the items themselves)....

Mark

cannonfodder
Team HB

#116: Post by cannonfodder »

You could always use my secret weapon. A high speed car buffer, a dozen buffer bonnets, some heavy cutting compound, white rouge and metal polish like MAAS or Flitz. Use the car buffer as a giant buffing wheel, just keep it moving or your will overheat the steel and burn it. I did that on my Faema two group rebuild.
Dave Stephens

SylvainMtl

#117: Post by SylvainMtl »

mhoy wrote:The p-stat (which everyone recommended I replace is nicely shown on page 1 by Dave as "I- Boiler pressure release valve". The connection near the boiler goes to the fill solenoid. Take plenty of pictures, I have more if there is a particular item you need a larger/better look at.
My mistake I mean t-stat, not p-stat. Mine's been disconnected , here's a picture

mhoy (original poster)

#118: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

Sylvain: I didn't have such a connection in my machine, here is a picture from when I was disassembling it. Your comment probably explains why I have a big red wire nut just before the heater.... :x

Mark

SylvainMtl

#119: Post by SylvainMtl »

mhoy wrote:Sylvain: I didn't have such a connection in my machine, here is a picture from when I was disassembling it. Your comment probably explains why I have a big red wire nut just before the heater.... :x
Mark
Yes it does!
it can't be that expensive to replace. :roll:

mhoy (original poster)

#120: Post by mhoy (original poster) »

cannonfodder wrote:... A high speed car buffer, a dozen buffer bonnets, some heavy cutting compound, white rouge and metal polish like MAAS or Flitz.
Dave: How high of speed is your car buffer? I've been stalling out the bench grinder so I figured a hand held unit wouldn't work as well.

Sylvain: I checked out the PDF of the new units some more, they done seem to have a t-stat any more, they now use the Element safety switch that I refered to a couple of posts ago.

I'd like to install some kind of temperature safety switch, now the question is which one is "better". Stefano's has the Elektra SKU: 02789035 which may be the same as the T1/A3 models.

Elektra owners: Could you quickly check if you have a t-stat or a element switch (and tell us the year of your Elektra).
=-=-
Mark