Elektra A3 Steam Wand Lever, How does it work?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Psyd

#1: Post by Psyd »

... split from Commercial espresso machines in the home by Moderator ...
cannonfodder wrote:In the end, I... ...got an Elektra A3, which I still consider to be a commercial machine but in a single group.
I've been looking at that machine, and I'm wondering how the steam and hot water levers actually work. Do they let out steam or hot water if moved in any direction from straight out? Do they automatically return to center (off)? Or will they stay in any position you leave them in? Sorry to hijack the thread, but it really wasn't mentioned in the review, and none of the re-sellers of this kit talk much about it either.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Psyd wrote:Do they let out steam or hot water if moved in any direction from straight out? Do they automatically return to center (off)? Or will they stay in any position you leave them in?
Yes. No. Yes.
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Psyd wrote:I've been looking at that machine, and I'm wondering how the steam and hot water levers actually work. Do they let out steam or hot water if moved in any direction from straight out? Do they automatically return to center (off)? Or will they stay in any position you leave them in?
They work like this...

«missing video»
Dave Stephens

Psyd (original poster)

#4: Post by Psyd (original poster) »

cannonfodder wrote:They work like this...
Merci beaucoup, to you and to Dan. Dan gave me the basics, but I started to think about finding that center position in a hurry (I tend to wander mentally sometimes, pulling the first doppio of the day...) and the video just said it all. A bit of a 'center detent' position. Looks great!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

They are super easy to use and the location of the steam wand (right side of the machine) just beside the brew lever is wonderful. You can work the entire brew and steam process with two fingers, one for each lever.
Dave Stephens

Niko

#6: Post by Niko »

So you can open the ball valve slightly and it will stay slightly open? Meaning, you can feather it for really small amounts of milk...right?

Grant

#7: Post by Grant replying to Niko »

No...you have hold it slighty off-centre to have it only slightly open or it will spring back to the centre position. It only holds itself fully open (at least on the Elektra I worked on).
Grant

Niko

#8: Post by Niko »

That what I was afraid of....

Oh well, it's still a beauty and I'd love to steam on one someday.

RegulatorJohnson

#9: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

it is possible to put this part on another machine?
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

jesawdy

#10: Post by jesawdy replying to RegulatorJohnson »

I don't know, but I did notice sometime back that cafeparts shows a different (knob style) Elektra steam valve assembly for $530+ :shock: !
Jeff Sawdy