ECM Technika V Profi PID drawing steam boiler water too fast?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
don giovanni

#1: Post by don giovanni »

Hello has anyone taken a look at this video from one of ECM's authorized retailer? Around 8.32 of the video, it states that it is recommended that no more than 4 oz of water be dispensed from the water spout to avoid running the risk of overheating the hx heating element. Is that unique to the technika or applies generally to hx machines or to all espresso machines in general?
Thanks

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

That's a new one for me.

It's a good idea to "blow down" boilers if you use the steam but not the water in order to reduce mineral buildup. This means running the water tap until the pressure is all the way down, getting about 12 to 18 fluid ounces in machines of that size, and letting the boiler auto refill. I have been doing this monthly for twenty years, and haven't blown a heating element yet. It's SOP in many shops and for many owners.
Jim Schulman

don giovanni (original poster)

#3: Post by don giovanni (original poster) »

Just to clarify, what you mean by "blow down" boilers is purging steam from the steaming wand and that will allow the boiler to refill water. Is that correct?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I assume Java Jim is being extra cautious; the tubing for the water wand for all the espresso machines I've seen is above the heating element. FWIW, I power off the machine before flushing out the steam boiler (to keep mineral concentration down), just in case.
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by don giovanni (original poster) »

Not quite sure how your post is relevant to the topic

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Hmm, lemme try again. It's not possible to expose the heating element to the air by drawing water since the water wand's pickup tube is above the heating element.
Dan Kehn

#7: Post by don giovanni (original poster) »

Let me try again. I don't think you watched the video. The pick up tube for the technika for the hot water wand is connected to the boiler below the heating element. Also it's irrelevant whether where the pick up tube sits. The assertion is the pump cannot pump faster than the hot water spout draws water

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

I watched it but missed that detail. If that's the case, you'd have to be cautious about drawing down too much. I'm not aware of any other espresso machine like that.
Dan Kehn

#9: Post by don giovanni (original poster) »

This unit costs almost 3k with the over hyped German engineering. seriously? engineering marvel or defect?

kitt

#10: Post by kitt »

How is it over hyped or a 'defect'? The water pick up tube is on or below the element in a lot of prosumer machines because the boiler is small and not a lot of water sits above the element. If it was above the element, there just wouldn't be a lot of capacity to draw water off. On bigger commercial machines it can sit above the element because of the bigger boiler.
What Java Jim suggests in the video is good practice, but in reality a lot of people draw more water off than that and don't damage their elements.