ECM Synchronika: won't turn on

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
slappadabass

#1: Post by slappadabass »

Howdy all,

Really hoping for some help although I do think I am a bit in trouble hahaha. Will have to call some form of repair person.

I have a plumbed in Sync. Been working great. I decided to drop the pressure yday from the stock 10bar down to 9 by adjusting the valve underneath. Pulled a shot and all was fine.

This morning I wake up (machine is on a Kasa smart plug), come down to make my coffee, and find water all over the place and the machine not on but warm. Literally, water on the floor. I popped open the lid and noticed that the water reservoir was full and overflowing. Flowed into the machine as well. Probably fried the circuitry is my guess?

I have no clue what to do haha. Took off all the panels. Nothing is loose or broken.

Not sure if the control valve to switch between water sources leaked or something? I noticed that if I flip the source switch towards the reservoir it starts to fill with water from the plubmed in line. IS that normal?

I can't even turn it on now at all. I'm in Ottawa and don't really have many repair choices other than one store and they aren't that nice :)

I appreciate any help all. Think it may be fried! Some pics as well if they are helpful.

slappadabass (original poster)

#2: Post by slappadabass (original poster) »

it of an update :)

So turns out the breaker must have tripped. Reset the fuses and outlets and the machine is powering on now.

Will leave all the panels off for now and the next day or so to observe. I'm a bit worried it will keep leaking inside or something. No real idea what happened still hahaha, but off to hopefully brew a coffee!

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Sounds like the fill solenoid valve is not closing completely and needs to be cleaned to remove scale particles or a backflow preventor check valve has failed.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#4: Post by slappadabass (original poster) »

Thank you!

As I was plumbing it in with a friend, I went to switch the valve position from tank to plumb in. The machine was on and warmed up. I noticed that it was very difficult to flip the switch to the other direction. Very hard. I think I may have done something to the valve as I tried to force it to switch sources maybe?

All seems fine now as long as I don't touch the water selector valve!

JordanK
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JordanK »

If the tank is empty and it's running on tank-mode, the machine won't power on at all due to the water sensor in the tank. Works great to protect the machine if tank runs dry, but mildly terrifying when you think your fancy machine just bit the dust. Just needs water... Won't be an issue with plumbed mode, or if there is a minimum amount of water in the tank. So apparent power failure probably just a function of flipping that plumbed-tank switch by accident.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

You should never have water 'all over the place' unless something is seriously wrong. It should never be hard to flip the switch from reservoir to direct plumb or back. Is it a mechanically levered valve or solenoid valve to switch between direct plumb and reservoir?

It sounds like something is still wrong and you would be best off to figure it out and know for sure rather than rely on hope and luck.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#7: Post by slappadabass (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

That does make total sense! I want to, but being in Ottawa, it's rather hard as there is literally one place in the whole city: Morala Trading.

If anyone in Ottawa or surrounding area is able to come take a look....cash at hand and I'll make you an epic coffee :)