ECM Synchronika with Flow Control

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
marlonkh

#1: Post by marlonkh »

Anyone purchased this machine. I recently purchased from Whole Latte Love wed site. I purchased with the assumption that the machine had a steam pressure of 2 bars. After purchasing and using for about a month I've yet to produce a single shot and steamed milk above 1.25 bars. Is this what is expected from this machine. Has anyone had any experience with this machine and what steaming quality have you experienced.

foam2

#2: Post by foam2 »

If you have the latest model you need to turn the steam boiler to the max temperature setting in order to get 2 bars.

marlonkh (original poster)

#3: Post by marlonkh (original poster) »

I've set the PID to the max setting for the Steam boiler.. It is set to 270 degrees. The Steam boiler gauge indicate a setting of 2 bars, but as soon as you touch the steam flipper to steam your milk the gauge instantly drops to about 1.5 bars and falls from there. Before the milk reaches temp the gauge will be around 1 bar or less. I realize that the pressure will drop as soon as the steam valve is opened, but I was hoping it would at least level out about 1.5 bars or more... The average gauge reading ends up around 1.25 bars (or less)...

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

That is the problem and advantage of a PID controlled boiler. With a pressurestat the moment you open the valve the element kicks into heat mode. With a PID you have to wait for the boiler temperature to drop before the PID calls for heat. Try a 'false steaming'. Open the valve and let it run for 15 seconds then turn it off. Give it another 15-20 seconds to start recovering then do your real steaming and see if that gets you a better-sustained pressure. You could also fiddle with the boiler level probe but that is a bit more tricky.

Having said that, you should still have plenty of steam pressure to work up a good microfoam unless you are doing a big pitcher full of milk. I have a different machine but 1.2 bar of pressure is plenty of pressure to steam 60z of milk in 15 or so seconds, but my boiler is also 6 liters so it has much more volume.
Dave Stephens

Teamawe

#5: Post by Teamawe »

I purchased a Profitec 700 a little over a month ago. My understanding is that they share internals with your sync.

I steam 6 to 8 oz at a time. I have temp set at 264. I have noticed inconsistent pressure. Milk will take between 12 and 20 seconds to heat. I go from having to be carefull so milk doesn't swirl out of pitcher due to pressure, to checking to ensure valve is open all the way. That said, the difference is 1.2 to 1.5 bars at the end of steaming. Even on the "low flow" mornings, it meets my needs.

Im so busy trying to figure how to pull a shot worth drinking that I haven't paid much attention to the steaming beyond noticing these slight inconsistencies.

sevee5

#6: Post by sevee5 »

I have been using my ECM Synchronika for a while and producing best drinks with ton of latte art :) ... there will always be slight inconsistencies in all machines even the commercial machines -you just have to tweak it a bit and play with it... I have set mine at 265 and get 1.75 bars max ( 1.25 - 1.5 while steaming milk).
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

Except for commercial machines with massive service boilers, all consumer and prosumer espresso machines exhibit this tendency for the steam to drop off as it is being used. As has been suggested, one remedy is to set the service boiler temperature to the maximum. This is what I've done and I get a good two-bars of steam to start. This gives me plenty of steam, even when doing a fairly large jug for multiple cappuccinos. You can play with the amount of headroom in the boiler by adjusting the depth of the water sensor; I've never done this, so YRMV. Another thing you can do is experiment with different tips. The fewer/smaller the holes the longer the steam will last. That said, I've gone the other way. I use a 4-hole tip. This massive blast of steam at the onset allows me to entrain the air to the desired level in just a few seconds; the rest of the heating time is spent swirling. I can make any type of milk foam I wish. You have to learn to use your particular machine. One of my other machines is a restored Riviera. It has only 1-bar steam and a puny 1-hole tip. I can make good milk foam with that one too; I just have to work harder :wink: .

DaveB

#8: Post by DaveB »

Are you experiencing any issues other than the steam pressure gauge not reading a certain number?

Many (if not most) of us with less powerful machines are producing microfoam that equals or exceeds what you would get in a cafe - and in less time than it takes to pull a shot.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

marlonkh (original poster)

#9: Post by marlonkh (original poster) »

Other than the questionable steaming pressure (I may adjust the gauge in the steam boiler...) the machine is excellent. I purchased the add-on Flow Control and the Anthracite side panels. I haven't had a chance to toy with Flow Control yet... It appears to be an interesting option..
I also purchased the Eureka Mignon Specialita 16cr Espresso Grinder and other accessories... So far so good... At first the machine was somewhat noisy, but after removing and inspecting the Vacuum Relief Valve (instructed to inspect in case it was stuck open) the machine is surprisingly quiet for an espresso machine...
I also added a WEMO WiFi Power Plug to automate turning the machine on/off. Didn't want to leave it on when no one was using it.

Yum

#10: Post by Yum »

I have the same exact set up and my ecm has ALWAYS been loud when turning it on.I have sent multiple videos and recordings and my dealer CC told me it might be the lug nuts under machine from shipping. I told them they were taken off years ago.needless to say they never helped me figure out why that expensive machine is so loud ! I haven't checked or was told about this relief valve!!!!!
And I wonder why not, can you please tell me where it is located, and what to do to check if its open or closed?
Thank you