ECM Synchronika - Page 17

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mania (original poster)

#161: Post by mania (original poster) »

shanec wrote:Where did you send it? I didn't know this was an option.
A few places do them but one I know
is Espresso Parts...$25

Will send one of mine soon

https://www.espressoparts.com/modify-my ... bottomless

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#162: Post by Jshot »

Mine went to Acme Coffee Roasters. They did a fantastic job. Highly recommended.

https://acmecoffeeroasting.com/pages/portafilters

mania (original poster)

#163: Post by mania (original poster) replying to Jshot »

May we ask...What do they charge?

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#164: Post by Jshot replying to mania »

Contact Larry at Acme to be sure, but when I had it done it was $31 and that included the cost to ship the PF back to me.

dmankin

#165: Post by dmankin »

Hi all - I've been reading this thread for a while, as I have been considering a Synchronika as a replacement for my Bunn ES-1A. The Bunn is a small commercial HX machine (made in the 1990s), and has made countless great shots for me over the last 10 years. But it needs constant tweaking, and goes down for one reason or another frequently. Time for some updated technology (and a manufacturer's warranty!). Order placed!

My Synchronika is due to arrive today! There are two other components arriving to complete the setup - a pressure regulator & softener/filter cartridges. The cartridges aren't scheduled to arrive for another 3 days, so I will have plenty of time to unpack, inspect & admire the machine until I can finish the hookup.

I am hoping you might be able to offer some do's & don'ts for Synchronika setup & use. Right off the bat, I am wondering if I can pick up a generic hose (Home Depot/Lowe's) to use for drip tray drain line (as long as it's not gonna melt from the heat). I used one for my old machine, and it held up fine, but I'm not sure if that's a standardized size line from machine to machine. Also, I have a bunch of E-61 portafilters, baskets, etc. from my Bunn. Will they fit the Synchronika?

Thanks - I'll be posting pics, etc. as the unboxing, setup & coffee starts to flow.
Dave

dmankin

#166: Post by dmankin »

My 1st shot on the Synchronika - fantastic!

dmankin

#167: Post by dmankin »

Dialed in, and making excellent espresso!

ray9273

#168: Post by ray9273 »

dmankin wrote:Dialed in, and making excellent espresso!
<video>
Hi dmankin
Greeting from Taiwan.
That is an excellent shot.
I have a few questions. I have a Profitec Pro 700.
1) on the video at 7sec, I see you pull the lever up about 45 degree and up a few more degree, is that pre-infusion ?
2) do you plumb in your machine ?

I have been trying to pre-infuse/wet (using tank) on my machine , but once I pass the 45 degree mark the pump started to kick in.

dmankin

#169: Post by dmankin »

Hi Ray.

Thanks. My machine is plumbed in. And the partial lifting of the lever is an attempt at pre-infusion. What I am finding is that when lifted into the 1st point (where the lever clicks in), there is no water flow. I have to nudge it up just a little bit more, but not far enough to engage the motor. I've only had the machine for a few days, so I am learning things every day. Until I get a bottomless portafilter, I won't be able to see much of the pre-infusion progress, but I have learned to listen for the line-pressure water to flow into the group. It's subtle, but I can hear when it's moving. I don't think pre-infusion is possible using the tank, since the water must be pushed through the group by water line pressure.

Cheers,
David

dmankin

#170: Post by dmankin »

This came as a bit of a surprise - I assumed that my old E-61 portafilters would fit on my new Synchronika. I have a few from my old Bunn ES-1A, including a bottomless one that I was looking forward to using. Unfortunately, the old ones do not fit well, and 'lock in' so quickly, that there isn't much grab. I don't want to mess up my group gasket by forcing things. I'll order the official ECM bottomless one, as I miss watching those nice pours from the bottomless PF.

The shots are getting better & better. I am very happy with this machine so far!

Cheers,
David