ECM Synchronika, strange noise when pumping

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CoffeeNerdista

#1: Post by CoffeeNerdista »

HERE IS MY STORY/QUESTION:

Two years ago I bought a ECM Synchronika coffee machine, which has been in daily use (4-6 coffees per day). Gradually, over time, the machine started getting louder and louder when refilling the boilers. There is a loud rattling sound, almost like metal vibrating on metal; or it could also be cavitation in the pump due to some pressure problem; or it could be something else (thus my question here).

Now it's important to mention that I am using the machine with the direct water connection, which is attached to a BWT water filter (size M). If i switch over to the built in water tank, the noise goes away completely. Looking at the internals of the piping within the machine, one can see that the system is almost identical whether switched to the mains water or to the built in tank. The only differences I can think of are these:

* With the direct connection, there is a very short additional copper piping that connects the mains water with the rest of the system. The water tank of course also has a short connection (but silicon, rather than copper).
* With the direct connection, there is some pressure from the mains water itself; in my case about 2.5 bar. With the tank, there is no intrinsic water pressure.

Thinking that the noise might be due to cavitation in the pump due to calcification (und resultant higher resistance), I tried decalcifying the whole system. At first, the noise did go away, but it came back fairly quickly (within about 6-8 weeks).

The only other thing I can think of is the base pressure from the mains (the 2.5 bar); this hasn't changed to my knowledge over the two year, but on the other hand, I wasn't monitoring it so carefully. Could 2.5 bars be too much?

Again, the strange thing is that there is no problem at all when using the water tank; it's only a problem with the direct connection.

Can you think of anything that might be the problem? Do you have any recommendations for resolving? Thanks!

AND HERE IS CHATGPT'S RESPONSE:

Based on your description, it seems like the noise issue is related to the direct water connection, and there are a few possibilities that could be causing the problem. Here are some potential causes and solutions:

Pressure from the mains water: It's possible that the 2.5 bar pressure from the mains water is causing the noise. You could try installing a pressure reducing valve (PRV) in your water line to lower the pressure entering the machine. Check your machine's manual for the recommended pressure range.

Copper pipe vibration: The additional copper piping in the direct connection setup could be causing the vibration noise. When water flows through the copper pipe, it might cause the pipe to vibrate against other components in the machine. You can try securing the copper pipe with some padding or insulation to reduce the vibration and noise.

Water hammer effect: If there's a sudden change in water flow or pressure, it can cause the "water hammer" effect, which results in loud noises. This can be more likely in a direct connection setup due to the higher pressure. Installing a water hammer arrestor can help absorb the shock caused by sudden pressure changes and reduce the noise.

Pump issue: Although you mentioned that the noise goes away when using the built-in water tank, it's still possible that the pump is having some issues when dealing with the higher pressure from the direct connection. It might be worth checking the pump for any signs of wear or damage and replace it if necessary.

Since the noise went away temporarily after decalcifying the system, it's also possible that the issue is related to the rate of scale buildup in your machine. You could try increasing the frequency of decalcification or consider using a water filter with a higher capacity to reduce the buildup.

To determine the exact cause of the issue, you may want to consult a professional technician or reach out to ECM for guidance. They could help you diagnose the problem and recommend the best course of action for resolving the noise issue.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A BETTER ANSWER/IDEA? :-)

MUCH APPRECIATED, J

mrgnomer

#2: Post by mrgnomer »

If you haven't unscrewed the water line and checked it for blockage it might be that.

I used a plumbed in e61 HX for years. Never checked the direct connect. It sat unused once for a while with the water line shut off but still connected. When I finally turned the water back on the line pressure was good but the boiler wouldn't fill. The rotary ran loud and wouldn't shut off.

After shutting off the water and disconnecting the plumb in the line was clean but the input at the machine was plugged with slimy gunk. Cleared up the gunk, flow was restored, pump ran normal again, boiler filled.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

The fact that it goes away when using the reservoir makes me think your softener (or components with it) are obstructed... Is there a pressure reducer on it? It it maybe sticking? How long ago was the BWT cartridge changed?

BoGs
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by BoGs »

I literally had the same problem as you that I was debugging this week.

I am on a constant pressure well system of 60psi, which is too high for the Synchronika since max is 2 bar. I have a sediment, iron filter, carbon filter, water softener, another sediment, and finally uv to get all the crap out from well water.

Below the sink I had a BWT Premium S filter that I am going to replace. That included a pressure reducer to 2bar and plumbed directly to the machine.

This week it started to make noise, and a lot of noise and no water would come out. Or if water did come out it would be a small drip. I started thinking it was the pump, but switching to the tank the noise would get less. (I think I permanently damaged my pump as it is so loud). I started to take apart the pieces that were different at the back of the machine from plumbed vs tank. All seemed fine and no blockages until I took the swivel part that the braided line from under the sink connects to and goes throught the bottom of the frame. The reducer on the outside of the frame has a (1/4" or 3/8") reducer, if you take that off there is a small brillo stainless steel filter in there behind the reducer and before 90ing into the frame. That small brillo had gunk on it and almost a slime that prevented water from moving. I took that out with a bamboo sqewer and cleaned the gunk off as best as I could. Put it all back together, and you can test the water pressure without turning the machine on to not damage your pump, by leaving the machine off and raising the brew lever which would "preinfuse" and you can see water coming out.

That was the fix for me and I have a new pump and the entire swivel assembly coming as well.

I am debating removing that fine filter as I already have multiple 1 micron filters throughout. For now I am leaving the system on the tank mode as my pump does not sound great.