ECM Synchronika/Profitec Flow Control Kit - Page 10

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
wachuko

#91: Post by wachuko »

jrham12 wrote:...If idrinkcoffee can't ship to the US, then that may apply to BB as well...
They are able to ship, I have purchased a few items from them over the last few weeks. This was the most recent purchased from Idrinkcoffee... knock box/drawer.

I just did not know they had this kit available... oh well, I will wait until the end of the month before I try to cancel the order I placed from Romania.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#92: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

I'm a happy IDC customer, albeit in Canada. My understanding is that they ship abroad. The issue with some items is likely cue to commercial licensing. Their deal with some of their suppliers likely grants them only Canada as their territory.

jrham12

#93: Post by jrham12 »

wachuko wrote:They are able to ship, I have purchased a few items from them over the last few weeks. This was the most recent purchased from Idrinkcoffee... knock box/drawer.

I just did not know they had this kit available... oh well, I will wait until the end of the month before I try to cancel the order I placed from Romania.
I was referring to ECM / Profitec's licensing agreement with WLL... if idrinkcoffee is not allowed to ship to the US because of the licensing then BB probably won't be able to either...

Josh

wachuko

#94: Post by wachuko replying to jrham12 »

I obviously did not understand your initial comment. Got it now. :wink:
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

luckydragon

#95: Post by luckydragon »

wachuko wrote:They are able to ship, I have purchased a few items from them over the last few weeks. This was the most recent purchased from Idrinkcoffee... knock box/drawer.

What Josh said. iDrinkCoffee can ship certain things abroad, but not Profitec/ECM products (and maybe some other manufacturers) specifically. For example: https://idrinkcoffee.com/products/ecm-e ... rol-device
Please note that we cannot ship ECM products into the United States.

Bob_McBob

#96: Post by Bob_McBob »

luckydragon wrote:I just installed the Flow Control Kit on my Synchronika. The kit came from IDrinkCoffee.com in Canada; a bit surprised they had it in stock, but I suppose demand is lower compared to Whole Latte Love, who has a much larger customer base on account of America's population relative to Canada's :lol:

It came with the "V3" knob, which is the round ball with a metal base. Installation was pretty straightforward; one main difference is that the kit came with a spring for the lower chamber, which I do not see in WLL's photos. It's much stiffer than the stock spring (I think it's to negate the E61's native pre-infusion ramp up?). The most frustrating thing was installing the manometer just because it took me like 10 minutes to get the threads to catch properly.
IDC told me both the ECM and Profitec kits now include the higher strength preinfusion spring, so I suppose the only real difference is the gauge styling.
Chris

FoRDLaz

#97: Post by FoRDLaz »

I recently purchased the Profitec Flow Control Device from a company in Ireland, called Caffe Italia. Shipping was quick and the device arrived in good condition. It included the spring as mentioned above and the larger round knob.
On original installation I realized that the valve wasn't fully closed when I installed it. It was about a quarter turn short but with a bit of force it closed fully and now easily gets to that position. It goes nearly 2 full turns to fully open but I need just over 1 1/4 turns to get to my machines original flow rate (10mls/sec).
One of the reasons the knob could be stiff is if you secure it too close to the bottom so it binds so I would advise turn it fully closed and then tighten the knob just above the base.
After some calibration on my Rocket R58 I have the following flow rates (I'm using an EB Labs screen)

Stock 9.8 mls/sec
1/4 turn 3.5 mls/sec
1/2 turn 5.7 mls/sec
3/4 turn 6.6 mls/sec
1 turn 7.4 mls/sec
1 1/4 turns 9.4 mls/sec

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#98: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

One of the reasons the knob could be stiff is if you secure it too close to the bottom so it binds so I would advise turn it fully closed and then tighten the knob just above the base.
To fully close the valve you first loosen the little knob, then close the valve, then retighten the knob. You should not have to force it. A few Bianca owners have reported that forcing the knob closed drives the needle into the jet, where it binds. Then the jet backs out with the needle. I have not heard of this happening with the ECM kit, but it's just bad practice to force a needle valve closed. There was a little roughness to the threads on the one I got, but a bit of lube and running it in and out a few times totally freed that up.

FoRDLaz

#99: Post by FoRDLaz replying to Nunas »

Thanks - perhaps I should have been more clear : I finger tightened it into the "closed" position but this was clearly not all the way closed. Using the handle there was some resistance but by no means did I force it.
I also find mine has a bit of roughness which I'm guessing will even out with use. Where did you apply the lube, and what type of lube did you use if I may ask?

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#100: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

I used Haynes Lubrifilm on the exposed part of the valve stem with it turned all the way open. It worked its way in easily. You could probably use plumbers grease, such as Dow 111. I have the Haynes and the 111 on hand and went with the Haynes as I figured it would go into the threads more easily, being a bit less viscous. Besides, that kind of metal to metal contact in food appliances is exactly its intended use. I only had to apply it the once and the valve turned freely after a few fully-open to fully-closed cycles.