ECM Synchronika preinfusion

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
harleyujoe

#1: Post by harleyujoe »

Thinking of purchasing a machine around summer.I have owned La Pavoni Lever for 11 yrs and now have Jura Z5 reason was holidays at work went from 3 guys to 20 some from shop wanting cappuccinos and my arm and that lever machine could not keep up in half hour break..LOL

So at 70 yr old this will be my last machine and luv the look of ECM Synchronika and want a great Cappuccino with wife for
5 months out year ..
Was thinking Decent pro but have trouble looking at techo machine ..

My question is on ECM and beleive it has preinfusion built in and know they sell the gage and lever for additional cost.
Do you really gain that much in flavor / taste with add on preinfusion or more a gadget and look what my machine has ??

So if any one has had a ECM Synch or Decent Pro to lead me to best tasting cappuccino ???

But these are 2 machines along with Niche Zero grinder..
Thank You Joe

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I have the Synk with the flow control and the gauge. At first, I used the control a lot; now, not so much. I love having the gauge that came with it; watching the gauge tells me a lot about what's going on in the PF. You can pre-infuse for longer than the inbuilt e61 preinfusion by using the middle position on the lever. Raise the lever for a few seconds to build pressure, then put it to the middle position and wait for as long as you want. Then re-raise the lever to pull the shot. IMHO, the Synk is one of the nicest DB prosumer machines.

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by bobkat »

Nunas.....Like the original poster, I am interested if the flow control will strongly influence the flavor/taste in the cup. Is it worth the additional cost if the Sync is going to be used for mainly Cappuccino?

Auctor

#4: Post by Auctor »

What flow control gives you is more control over the technique and recipe of a given drink. Flow control enables a far more controlled preinfusion, and the opportunity to test different pressure profiles on a given bean. Whether you can taste the difference, or whether it's worth the extra [$200], is a personal decision.

For a couple of the medium-light beans I've tried out, the preinfusion plus lower pressure (6 bars) has given me a slightly better flavor. But that might also be the "I'm doing something special so I *think* I taste something special" problem. That said, when I use medium-dark and dark roasted beans, I don't find flow control to be particularly useful.

Overall, for me it was worth the extra $200 to future proof the machine and give me more flexibility. Given the parts and labor, I think it should've cost $50, but it's a sellers market right now.

(Edit) PS - I should add, I primarily drink caps, and occasionally have very concentrated Americanos.
★ Helpful

harleyujoe (original poster)

#5: Post by harleyujoe (original poster) replying to Auctor »

Thank You for your post and time...I will tell you that I really would like the ECM. Synch but I am really thinking of going for the Decent XL.. I do not need the XL but I want white and also the bigger steam wand and by the time you take a DE 1+ apart and buy wand and paint you pretty close to XL cost. I guess at 70 yrs young and this will be my last machine I want to buy a coffee and enjoy consistent repeat of taste. and if I find another coffee bean I can play with it and return right back to my original beans...I will not be purchasing until later summer and so I have time to hear other and make up my mind.

Scotch

#6: Post by Scotch »

At 70, experienced with a lever, and with "trouble looking at techno," go with the ECM. Each will make great Cappuccino, but you will appreciate the physical levers of the ECM. And the beauty! There is something to the beauty. The Synch is a joy to use and a joy to look at. Don't minimize that. As for flow control, get it. Maybe you use it, maybe you don't. Maybe you notice a difference, maybe you don't. But at that price point and additional cost, you should add it. Just one more variable you can experiment with. I personally noticed a difference with certain coffee when I first used it. I also use the flow control to make drip coffee when someone asks for it.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

My experience with variable PI is that longer PI/soak times often benefit medium roast coffees and are close to essential to have good success with medium light and lighter. Most "espresso" roasts are medium-dark or darker. I found that many "comfort" roasts do poorly with anything but a quick extraction, often cut short to minimize unpleasant bitterness.

Pressure/flow profiling during extraction I have found to benefit medium-dark and lighter coffees (I don't pull dark). The benefits are very noticeable in a straight shot but not the difference between pounding your head on the wall and a delicious cup the way that PI/soak improves success with lighter roasts.

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by bobkat »

I also use the flow control to make drip coffee when someone asks for it.
Scotch.....could you please explain how you do that? Thank you.

harleyujoe (original poster)

#9: Post by harleyujoe (original poster) replying to bobkat »

bobcat I saw a video of drip coffee from ECM Synch..Do google search

SandraF

#10: Post by SandraF »

I was investigating flow control for the Synchronika, and found that none of the primary US vendors have the kits for sale. WLL has them preinstalled but no longer sells just the kits. Keep that in mind if you're thinking about flow profiling the Synchronika.