ECM Synchronika flow inconsistency

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
soyuz02

#1: Post by soyuz02 »

Hey everyone,

Just recently got my new setup, ECM Syn with flow control and a Ceado e37sd grinder. This was an upgrade from a Breville Barista Pro.

I'm getting some very inconsistent results and I don't understand why. I use the same coffee beans, same flow control position (1.25 turns which is supposedly stock flow at 11g/s), distribute and level with my Bravo leveler and tamper, same grind setting. Yet sometimes the coffee just gushes out and my target extraction happens in like 10secs, then the next shot I pull takes 30 secs, and the next shot almost chokes the machine and takes like 80 secs.

Is there anything I'm missing here? The only thing that came to mind was perhaps grinder seasoning but it should't lead to such a magnitude of divergence in results.

Any pointers appreciated...

Thanks

Moritz

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I doubt it's the grinder. Even a brand news grinder will be fairly consistent, although as the burrs wear in, the grind setting will have to be changed more frequently until it's seasoned.

1.25 turns are about right for the flow. But are you using the stock e61 spring or the heavier one that comes with the flow control kit? You're not getting any preinfusion from the group with the heavier spring, as preinfusion is defeated. You might try turning your flow control down or even shutting it fully at the onset, gradually turn it open to set a preinfusion pressure of a few bars, then when the coffee starts to flow, open it enough to produce ~8 or 9 bar. I use the stock spring, so I get automatic e61 preinfusion and don't have to do this.

It could be puck preparation. You could try WDT before tamping. That said, I never tamp and don't experience any significant variations from pull to pull. I distribute with my cloverleaf distributor, which compresses the puck slightly, but no more than about 5#, probably less.

soyuz02 (original poster)

#3: Post by soyuz02 (original poster) »

Thanks for the thoughts. The flow control came pre-installed from WLL so assume will be the heavier one. Playing around I have seen significant differences when I pre wet the puck at like a quarter turn for 10 secs before ramping it up, so I guess might just have to do that standard. The only reason I was pulling at "stock flow" was to try and dial in grind size, my thinking was that my grind size is ball park if at stock it runs for your typical 25-30 secs.

Ldstern

#4: Post by Ldstern »

Stock flow on Synchronika without flow control is 8-10gms/ sec. You should do a flow profile without PF, weighing output at 1/4 turn, 1/2, 3/4, etc. You can't assume that 1 1/2 turns equals stock flow. It can vary from machine to machine.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas replying to Ldstern »

As far as I'm aware, none of the retailers include the stock parts if the machine is ordered with the flow control installed.

#6: Post by soyuz02 (original poster) »

Thanks. I did just that and at 1 1/4 turn its around 11g/s which WLL mentioned in a video is stock flow for a rotary pump machine. Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else so not sure its accurate...

Ldstern

#7: Post by Ldstern »

What were your flow rates at 1/4, 1/2, etc turns? Mine runs way too fast with, for example, a flow rate of 7gms/sec at a only 1/4 turn. I'm trying to get a response from WLL support.

#8: Post by soyuz02 (original poster) »

1/4 1.68 g/s
1/2 4.15 g/s
3/4 6.55 g/s
1 8.55 g/s
1 1/4 11.05 g/s
1 1/2 12.95 g/s
1 3/4 15.3 g/s
2 28.5 g/s

Pretty bang in line with the results Mark presented in one of the videos..

slipchuck

#9: Post by slipchuck »

soyuz02 wrote:Hey everyone,

Just recently got my new setup, ECM Syn with flow control and a Ceado e37sd grinder. This was an upgrade from a Breville Barista Pro.

I'm getting some very inconsistent results and I don't understand why. I use the same coffee beans, same flow control position (1.25 turns which is supposedly stock flow at 11g/s), distribute and level with my Bravo leveler and tamper, same grind setting. Yet sometimes the coffee just gushes out and my target extraction happens in like 10secs, then the next shot I pull takes 30 secs, and the next shot almost chokes the machine and takes like 80 secs.

Is there anything I'm missing here? The only thing that came to mind was perhaps grinder seasoning but it should't lead to such a magnitude of divergence in results.

Any pointers appreciated...

Thanks

Moritz
Do you weigh the ground coffee?
Fresh coffee,?

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

#10: Post by soyuz02 (original poster) »

Yeah, same exact dosage (+/-) .2gr