ECM Synchronika/Profitec Flow Control Kit - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
splashalot

#81: Post by splashalot »

Just thought I'd add my experience, as after reading through the thread I think it may help some others having issues with the flow control device.

I recently purchased a Profitec Pro 700 and had the shop fit the optional flow control device. I assume the latest iteration, as it has the small round ball handle and very short shaft.

I had trouble stopping the flow at fully closed - hard up against the stop I was still getting 45mls in 10 seconds through the group head. Turns out the shop had not fitted the device properly and made the necessary adjustments outlined in the Whole Latte Love video at 3:30 onward http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0Mvaq1MSs

Although flow was reduced down to 35mls/10s after I had adjusted as per the video, I still couldn't shut off the water from the brew head. Turns out my flow control valve was incredibly stiff to operate near closed position. These things obviously have a large range of manufacturing tolerances. It took me a pair of pliers, a fair bit of muscle and a lot of opening/closing/opening/closing the valve near the fully closed position to finally fully close off all flow when the brew arm is raised. Each time the valve would close a little further. Eventually it loosened up so it is now easy to operate with the shaft and ball handle refitted.

So if your flow control valve won't shut off water flow completely when closed, maybe give this a try. Of course, this is my experience only and your machine is your responsibility. But hopefully this is helpful to somebody.

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by Bluenoser »

splashalot wrote: I had trouble stopping the flow at fully closed - hard up against the stop I was still getting 45mls in 10 seconds through the group head. Turns out the shop had not fitted the device properly and made the necessary adjustments outlined in the Whole Latte Love video at 3:30 onward
might have chat with the service manager at the shop.. not so bad that the thing didn't work, but unforgivable they didn't test it to know it didn't work and then fix. Great info if I look to add to my Pro500. Thanks

glepore

#83: Post by glepore »

I just installed a Coffee Sensor flow control on an Izzo vivi-it works, but over a very small range-1/4 turn from full flow to no flow. I can use it that way, but its not ideal.
The Vivi had an odd arrangement with the mushroom-the cap was separate from the internals and required a 14mm allen to remove the lower part of the existing mushroom. Only had allen wrenches up to 10 mm but used a bolt with a 14 mm head and a visegrip to remove the lower.

jrham12

#84: Post by jrham12 » replying to glepore »

I just finished installing the Coffee Sensor flow control on my Synchronika. I used the "non-flip" handle and ended up with fully closed to fully open (matching the flow rate of the stock mushroom) to be about 3/4 of a rotation. Worked out well that almost touching the casing on the left is fully closed and then rotated to almost touching the case on the right is just a hair over the stock flow rate.

EDIT: So that was last night when I was just measuring water flow... This morning when I tried my first shot, about halfway through I started to slowly close the flow control valve and was thinking "it's not doing anything...". You're right, it doesn't really start to restrict the flow until it is about 1/4 turn from fully closed. It seems the thread pitch they chose to use on the needle is a bit coarse for very fine control. Workable, but could be better. I went with the Coffee Sensor unit simply because of lack of availability on the ECM / Profitec kits.

Josh

glepore

#85: Post by glepore »

That makes sense. I ordered mine for the same reason. I suspect this is a common issue...

MindTheGap76

#86: Post by MindTheGap76 »

Wanted to report an experience that may be relevant to some other owners:

I'd had an issue for a few weeks with my ECM where the pressure at boiler looked fine, but the pressure through the group head was consistently low. I called WLL, and they advised to use some teflon tape to tighten up the seal on the pressure gauge. I did that, and it worked for a week or so, then the same problem started happening again.

Yesterday morning, I unscrewed the gauge and rejiggered the teflon tape and gasket a bit to try to get a better seal. As I was screwing it on, the entire gauge broke off, leaving a piece of screw embedded in the group head. I wasn't doing anything crazy, just turning it by hand.

I called WLL again, and apparently this is somewhat of a known issue. They advised me that I could get the embedded piece of broken screw out just by using the tip of a needle nose pliers (i.e., I didn't need something to grip on, just push the plier tip in and use friction to turn the screw). That worked fine, and WLL is shipping me a replacement gauge. In the meantime, the ECM box included the nut that used to be in the group head, so I was able to replace that and get back to making coffee.

In this temporary configuration, I'm not able to see the group head pressure. But, honestly, I don't miss it. My standard shot is: (1) flip the switch with the flow valve closed, (2) open it a quarter-turn for about 7 seconds to get a pre-infusion, (3) open another half turn to normal flow and pressure for most of the extraction, and (4) close it back down for the last few seconds to finish off the shot. That continues to work fine, and I'm just happy to have a machine that is functioning reliably.

luckydragon

#87: Post by luckydragon »

I just installed the Flow Control Kit on my Synchronika. The kit came from IDrinkCoffee.com in Canada; a bit surprised they had it in stock, but I suppose demand is lower compared to Whole Latte Love, who has a much larger customer base on account of America's population relative to Canada's :lol:

It came with the "V3" knob, which is the round ball with a metal base. Installation was pretty straightforward; one main difference is that the kit came with a spring for the lower chamber, which I do not see in WLL's photos. It's much stiffer than the stock spring (I think it's to negate the E61's native pre-infusion ramp up?). The most frustrating thing was installing the manometer just because it took me like 10 minutes to get the threads to catch properly.

Yes the valve was a little stiff to open and close at the start, but after a couple times rotating it around it loosened up quite nicely. Works exactly as expected, now. I can go from as low as 1 ml/s up to 10+ ml/s with one full rotation. I've currently set my knob pointing at 9 o'clock for ~ 1.5 m/s flow to mimic a Slayer-style pre-brew, and then I ramp my flow up to 6 ml/s at the 3 o'clock position.

Just pulled a shot, and it took a full 20 seconds before any liquid started to show. When I ramped up to 6 ml/s the pressure went up to around 6 bar before starting to drop again. Shot finished at 38s, 17g in and 37g out. I was pleasantly surprised at the complete absence of bitterness (using a medium-light blend of natural-processed Ethiopian, washed Brazil and Colombian). Acidity was a touch too bright, but I can't wait to experiment with bringing that down to maximize sweetness.

wachuko

#88: Post by wachuko »

luckydragon wrote:I just installed the Flow Control Kit on my Synchronika. The kit came from IDrinkCoffee.com in Canada; a bit surprised they had it in stock, but I suppose demand is lower compared to Whole Latte Love, who has a much larger customer base on account of America's population relative to Canada's :lol:

It came with the "V3" knob, which is the round ball with a metal base. Installation was pretty straightforward; one main difference is that the kit came with a spring for the lower chamber, which I do not see in WLL's photos. It's much stiffer than the stock spring (I think it's to negate the E61's native pre-infusion ramp up?). The most frustrating thing was installing the manometer just because it took me like 10 minutes to get the threads to catch properly.
They did!!!??? Man! Wish I had checked... was not even aware that they had it. I ordered mine from Coffee Sensor via the Amazon listing (company out of Romania) and with Romania in shutdown, nothing is going out... my order shows as shipped, but stuck in Romania... I wonder if I can cancel at this stage... I placed the order back in March 23rd...

On the spring, I remember seeing that on the install video... so all good there.

Can't wait to get mine to give it a try...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

luckydragon

#89: Post by luckydragon » replying to wachuko »

Due to vendor exclusivity agreements, IDrinkCoffee can't ship ECM products down to the U.S., which is why I think they were able to still have stock :wink:

Looks like the Coffee Sensor version is more akin to the Bianca's, insofar as its thread is coarser than the ECM/Profitec's.

jrham12

#90: Post by jrham12 »

Bella Barista in the UK also has both the ECM and Profitec flow control devices listed, but they also have a note on their website that their online store is closed due to covid-19... If idrinkcoffee can't ship to the US, then that may apply to BB as well...