ECM Synchronika drain pan upgrade - Espresso machine drain plumbing - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Wenus2

#31: Post by Wenus2 »

Installed the new drain pan today, works like a champ. Much more volume and it does seem to evacuate better.
Thanks OP!

bigblueHI

#32: Post by bigblueHI »

Thank you so much for creating this design and releasing it. I was lazy and had mine commerically 3D printed and it fit perfectly. I have been very happy with my Synchronika but the OEM drain interface was clearly a lazy afterthought. Your design works great so far.

Advertisement
Staple001

#33: Post by Staple001 »

Hey, I liked your drip pan that you made! Could you make me one? I don't have a 3d printer. Otherwise I would be all over it! :D I am willing to pay you for the time and material to do so.

Thanks

jmbinette (original poster)

#34: Post by jmbinette (original poster) »

Sorry I missed that last message !
Where are you located ?

#35: Post by jmbinette (original poster) »

** UPDATE **

Hi to all,

Been more than 1 year already since the first design and I noticed that my pan had twisted with the heat. The bottom curved and the wall twisted.

So I came up with an updated design, I just installed it in my machine and will see the evolution. Basically the new version has :
  • Thicker walls
  • Thicker bottom (Printed with 20% cubic infill
  • Higher pan "floor" and designed a little pit inside for better flow

For those interested, I updated the Thingiverse :
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4665171/files

For those who tried it, let me know what your impressions and improvement suggestions !

Waloo

#36: Post by Waloo »

Hi,
Thank you very much for your sharing and update!
For 3D printing, did you use TPU or PLA? On Thingiverse description, I am not sure which one you used.

I will plumb my Synchronika soon, and I will install your awesome custom drip trait!

Thanks.

#37: Post by jmbinette (original poster) »

Good morning,

I used black PLA for both parts with cubic infill.
My 2nd design is more thick and did not have any problems so far ! Drains a little better also with the recessed "pit"

Let me know if you have any comments

Thanks !

Advertisement
Waloo

#38: Post by Waloo »

Thanks for your reply !

jerrodh

#39: Post by jerrodh »

Howdy - new guy here chiming in to say I appreciate OP's drip tray design. I just printed one of my own, after a few modifications.

Principally, I needed to be able to print it on a Prusa Mini+, with its 180mm build plate. Thankfully this only required clipping a few corners that were unnecessary.

While I was doing that, I also recontoured the interior and added some ridges in an attempt to trap some grit from entering the tube. We'll see whether that works or not.

I also got a bit too clever and added two embedded refrigerator magnets to try and keep the drip tray from shuffling as much as it does, but alas I remembered that this is a non-magnetic alloy of stainless steel. Oops.

I printed mine using PETG, which might do better than PLA at resisting thermal warp over time. Will report back.

Here are a few photos. If OP doesn't mind, I'd be happy to post the source file, STL, and Gcode to Thingiverse/Printables as a remix of his entry.

JRising
Team HB

#40: Post by JRising »

jerrodh wrote: I also got a bit too clever and added two embedded refrigerator magnets to try and keep the drip tray from shuffling as much as it does, but alas I remembered that this is a non-magnetic alloy of stainless steel. Oops.
Two more magnets beneath the frame and it's awesome.