ECM Synchronika and Profitec Pro 700 Steam Upgrade - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
felyko

#21: Post by felyko »

lagoon wrote:Alternatively, have it done when it's in for an annual service.
Annual service? Is your coffee machine lubricated by oil?

slipchuck

#22: Post by slipchuck »

A couple of hundred bucks to gain a few seconds of time?
Maybe I am not getting it

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Advertisement
Yukonista

#23: Post by Yukonista »

boost wrote:Does the new PID just allow higher set temperature compared to the old one?
How high does the old one sets to?
The "old one" goes to 262F.
I run mine at 259, which at 2300 ft. ASL gives me a hair over 1.4 bar.
I tried running at 261, but Id get the odd release of the PRV.
Overall, with the 4 hole tip and 1.45 bar of pressure, I've never lacked for steaming performance. Even steaming a 20oz of milk is pretty quick.
If I was running a higher volume for a big group, I could see running closer to 2 bar as being advantageous, but i'll save my $ for beans.
Someone mentioned previously that this was a great move from Profi/ECM, that it shows faith in their build quality. I don't know about that, 2 bar is only 30 PSI, the brew side is putting out 10 bar, so I certainly hope the steam side can handle 2 bar.

boost

#24: Post by boost »

The bigger Gicar 3D5 brain box use Atmel AVR processor and can be updated/reflashed. I think the new PID also made by Gicar.
I did not however see the serial interface in the schematic. Maybe our electronic expert @AssafL can comment.

felyko

#25: Post by felyko »

boost wrote:The bigger Gicar 3D5 brain box use Atmel AVR processor and can be updated/reflashed. I think the new PID also made by Gicar.
I did not however see the serial interface in the schematic. Maybe our electronic expert @AssafL can comment.
It's unlikely that the Atmel flash (or whatever it is) pins would be exposed out of the box. I bet you need to open the box and solder wires so you can reprogram it.

Bluenoser

#26: Post by Bluenoser replying to felyko »

I have no knowledge of the Gicar modules, but have worked on a number of micro-controller boards. You wouldn't need to solder wires, as the manufacturer would not be able to reprogram units and this is a common task. You find a flaw in the software after you created many module boards and now you need a way to reprogram them. I looked up some pics of a Gicar 3D5 and in the pic I found, I see a socketed Integrated Circuit. This would likely contain the micro controller with its firmware (educated guess). It might be as simple as gently removing the chip and replacing it with a newly programmed one. This may be an old board version. If the micro controller chip is surface mounted, or soldered in, there is always a header strip consisting of a few protruding 'stakes' and shroud that a cable will attach to. The cable goes to a programming unit owned by the manufacturer and allows the firmware to be modified. Usually you need to take the outer case off to find this programming interface that is on the PCB. Only the manufacturer could reprogram the unit through this cable.

felyko

#27: Post by felyko replying to Bluenoser »

I agree with pretty much everything you said except the 'always' part. That said, without a picture of the internals I can't say and I won't take out mine until I get a new PID box.

Advertisement
lagoon

#28: Post by lagoon »

Yukonista wrote:was a great move from Profi/ECM, that it shows faith in their build quality. I don't know about that, 2 bar is only 30 PSI, the brew side is putting out 10 bar, so I certainly hope the steam side can handle 2 bar.
Different boilers, different subsystem, liquid v gas, very different temperatures, and most importantly the 10 bar provided by the pump is momentary.

The 2 bar in the steam boiler is continuously sustained while ever the machine is on.

So apples v oranges in other words.

Prairiedawg

#29: Post by Prairiedawg »

2 bar (30psi) continuously I would argue is less stressful than 10 bar intermittently. 2 bar for a pressure vessel isn't much anyways.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

F1

#30: Post by F1 »

I live at 5,850'. At this altitude the highest temperature I can set on the steam boiler is 248F. This results in a steam pressure reading of 1.4bars (top of the green). I have always felt like the steam is underpowered even at 1.4bars with the 4 hole tip. At least compared to my Rocket Giotto that is set to a max of 1.0 Bars. The steam pressure on the Giotto is drier and more powerfull. I don't know why this is. No, my Pro 700 has no scale in the steam boiler or pipes. I checked. I wonder how much of a difference this new PID will make at my altitude. Also, Do we need new markings on the gauge?