ECM Synchronika and Profitec Pro 700 Steam Upgrade - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kitt

#11: Post by kitt »

JayBeck wrote:The Pro 700 (the Pro 500 was not in the video) comes stock with a 4 hole tip. The Synchronika comes stock with a 2 hole tip. It's not staged. In fact, if they had used a 4 hole tip, the milk would have come to temperature sooner. LMLM / GS/3 'steam' is no longer an advantage over these 2 machines with this upgrade. All the extra money buys you now is faster heat up time and commercial capabilities for pulling shots every 45 seconds whereas these machines need a 60 second rest to be temp stable.

I wonder what the cost is going to be to upgrade old machines. I would be shocked if it was more than $150-200 which would be worth it IMO if you make milk based drinks.
Unless you're steaming for big bowl lattes, i think the standard wand with 4 hole tip is more than adequate on these machines . I can't see it being a cheap upgrade unless it's subsidised by ECM or Profitec. The PID controllers go for $250 here in Australia, plus a new safety valve $30-50 , plus labour, which could be a bit given the PID location behind the brew boiler, which means you have to virtually remove it to replace the controller. I'd allow 1- 1 and a half hours labour for changing the controller and testing etc

bluesman

#12: Post by bluesman »

felyko wrote:I have the opposite experience. The two hole tip on my ECM is close to useless, so I use a 4 hole steam tip which provides a steady whirlpool. Perhaps your 2 hole steam tip is of a different size.
Did you remove the "no-burn" liner? It makes a world of difference. I ordered the 4 hole before removing the sleeve, but I removed the sleeve before the tip arrived. The 4 hole with the liner in place is no match for the 2 hole without it. The location and angulation of the 2 holes in the stock tip work incredibly well in my hands with the liner removed - the 4 hole stretches a bit faster, but I can't seem to get the texture of the foam to be as lush as it is with the 2 hole.

felyko

#13: Post by felyko »

kitt wrote:Unless you're steaming for big bowl lattes, i think the standard wand with 4 hole tip is more than adequate on these machines . I can't see it being a cheap upgrade unless it's subsidised by ECM or Profitec. The PID controllers go for $250 here in Australia, plus a new safety valve $30-50 , plus labour, which could be a bit given the PID location behind the brew boiler, which means you have to virtually remove it to replace the controller. I'd allow 1- 1 and a half hours labour for changing the controller and testing etc
I think most people will do the upgrade themselves so labor isn't involved. I'm expecting the upgrade to be around $170 USD, but that's just my guess.

felyko

#14: Post by felyko »

bluesman wrote:Did you remove the "no-burn" liner? It makes a world of difference. I ordered the 4 hole before removing the sleeve, but I removed the sleeve before the tip arrived. The 4 hole with the liner in place is no match for the 2 hole without it. The location and angulation of the 2 holes in the stock tip work incredibly well in my hands with the liner removed - the 4 hole stretches a bit faster, but I can't seem to get the texture of the foam to be as lush as it is with the 2 hole.
No, I did not remove the no-burn liner.

ben8jam

#15: Post by ben8jam »

felyko wrote:I think most people will do the upgrade themselves so labor isn't involved. I'm expecting the upgrade to be around $170 USD, but that's just my guess.
The steam pressure valve is probably a $10 part. But they will most likely charge a lot for the PID - which is annoying because it should be an easy software update, as opposed to replacing the whole thing.

felyko

#16: Post by felyko replying to ben8jam »

It's quite possible that the PID is indeed re-programmable but most people will not have the necessary equipment and skill to do it, so the only option is to sell a new PID. The old PID was $130 or so.

Abecker (original poster)

#17: Post by Abecker (original poster) »

It would be nice if they subsidized the price by allowing you to send the old PID back.

Brother_Bluto

#18: Post by Brother_Bluto »

mike guy wrote:Interesting. I am happy with the steam performance on the syncrhonika but I will probably spring for the upgrade kit if it's reasonable.
Looking at it the same way - happy with performance, but may upgrade at some point.

boost

#19: Post by boost »

Does the new PID just allow higher set temperature compared to the old one?
How high does the old one sets to?

lagoon

#20: Post by lagoon »

felyko wrote:I think most people will do the upgrade themselves so labor isn't involved. I'm expecting the upgrade to be around $170 USD, but that's just my guess.
Alternatively, have it done when it's in for an annual service.