ECM Puristika - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bluenoser

#21: Post by Bluenoser »

It sure looks nice.. but it has an E61, and so needs to be managed .. would have a 30-60 minute warm up.. a group thermometer might be necessary. I gotta' think this would not be cheap.. and would it really make significantly better espresso than a Robot or Forge (at a fraction of the price and a fraction of the maintenance)? I just don't see this as a performance improvement in any way. I think ECM has exhausted the mechanical evolution of espresso machines and has to bite the bullet and start judiciously adding more electronic capability .. and move towards the saturated group similar to their 300.. faster heat up, better temperature management. I don't know who this would appeal to; especially with zero steam options.

Real innovation these days comes to leveraging existing user technology, through iOS/android. Look at the IKAWA; nothing compares to it. Even Decent is showing that their user interface can be mirrored on an user tablet (android/iOS). I see a future machine with nice levers and chrome, with configuration done by your phone; saturated group, fast warm up. No panels or display need be on the machine at all.

slybarman

#22: Post by slybarman »

External water is good. The Bianca has the external tank and the water doesn't get warm and the tank doesn't get funky like my last machine tended to. I think more machines will go this route.

DaveC

#23: Post by DaveC »

I should have one of the Host machines on my bench in a few weeks for a play....watch out for the chickens on the tiles ;)

I Played around with it at Host and there was just something about it I really liked.... Plus I rarely drink steamed milk drinks since losing nearly 140 lbs in weight. Here are a few snaps I took with my cheap phone. The Puristika does have a PID, but it's on the bottom left obscured by the group and handle.

The Host 2019 version won't be the final version, as there is some time before it becomes available next year, there is a number of improvements/changes still to come. In effect an external and internal fine tuning of the product.

It will certainly have the wife acceptance factor in any small kitchen, loft, flat or RV...especially RVs and perhaps boats (wish I had a boat). Wealthy college students may also love it.

coffeelongevity

#24: Post by coffeelongevity »

anyone know how the Puristika would compare against the new Lelit PL62X?
both external tanks, one can profile but the other one has steam.
from what I read, the Lelit would not require a cooling flush. 24mins to get to temperature.
although prices are not out, it seems they will be both around the same level give or take a couple hundred $. I understand Lelit will be out in spring of next year... does that mean Europe AND US? anybody know when the ECM will be out?

I was ready to purchase something but this will make me wait... happy and sad at the same time!

drH

#25: Post by drH »

DaveC wrote:I should have one of the Host machines on my bench in a few weeks for a play...

Is there any update on this machine? Anyone know if it's still on track for 2020?

DaveC

#26: Post by DaveC »

drH wrote:Is there any update on this machine? Anyone know if it's still on track for 2020?
I would imagine so, even though the machine I have is a prototype, it is 90% there. I'd like to do a mini review on it, I think I may seek permission from ECM to do that.

jgood

#27: Post by jgood »

Does anyone else think that the separate water tank is something that is likely to get tipped over and spill? In my kitchen it would. I would like to see some anti tip feature, either a fold out "cup holder" for hold the tank or something.

Eiern (original poster)

#28: Post by Eiern (original poster) »

From the YouTube video the profiling dial seems to be slow: if you'd want to go all the way up to 9 bars and down again you'd be spinning it many many rounds, so not like the paddle left to right needle valves we have seen on top of E61s lately. But with the slow E61 ramp up you might only need to set it at say 8 bars and go a bit down in the end from there?

Also, how is the longevity of an over pressure valve? Is it meant to be tweaked a number of cycles daily or only to be 'set' every once in a while?

I still like the aesthetics and size of this one, with a small concern about E61 PID as I've had it earlier. I'd like one next to my white EK43S for a kitchen friendly setup.

It should work but I agree some modern approaches could be a better way to go than milking the E61 further. At the same time modern tech just seems less future proof to me. I feel I can make my ECM with only rotary motor, SS boiler, E61 group and Pstat last a loong time if I want to. Compared to Decent and such, how will things look down the road? At the other hand one might not need an espresso machine to last a lifetime, but I feel the more expensive the more important to me ease of service seems.

jgood

#29: Post by jgood »

"At the same time modern tech just seems less future proof to me"

It seems like we're headed in two directions at the same time -- computerized "Decent" type machines on the one side and old school lever machines, on the other. Either we're embracing tech and the shorter life span or going old school and embracing manual operations.

luckydragon

#30: Post by luckydragon replying to jgood »

It's kind of what I'm telling myself with my Synchronika that I'm kind of in between a super-computerized machine like the Decent DE1 and a traditional level machine.

I think part of the allure about E61 machines is that they have a proven, reliable track record for lasting decades if well-maintained; the more electronics you stuff into the machine, the higher the rate of debilitating failure (i.e., an electronic component wearing out and not being replaceable, that it renders the machine unuseable). I know Decent is known for trying to make all their parts sourceable, but since everything is proprietary, it's really reliant upon the company and their manufacturers being around for a long while. It's even harder to judge the longevity of these programmable hybrid-mechanical machines with more complex electronic controls (e.g. the Rocket R9 One, Bezzera Matrix, Crem One 2B, etc.). I mean, innovation is great, but I think it does come at the expense of durability.