ECM Puristika owner experience - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ursego (original poster)

#71: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

pierrick, your setup is looking as a negative of mine. :lol:

How to you compare Puristika to Flair 58 from 3 points of view - convenience, taste and loving the machine?

howard seth

#72: Post by howard seth replying to Ursego »

Good questions.
I had a Flair 58 for about a week, bought due to all the positive reports about it- but found it quite difficult to use - and to coordinate pressure on it's gauge - and pressing down on that lever hurt my (Injured) shoulder.
Now - I'm awaiting a Puristika - with the optional flow control.
Howie

Omerr

#73: Post by Omerr »

@Ursego, thank you for the wonderful advice and resources. I am awaiting now my puristika and flow control and will post photos once the setup is complete :)

pierrick

#74: Post by pierrick »

Ursego wrote:pierrick, How to you compare Puristika to Flair 58 from 3 points of view - convenience, taste and loving the machine?
Convenience - the Flair 58 has a very short warm up time and is very straightforward to use. It is the perfect machine to have at work in my opinion. The Puristika takes more space but does not require a kettle. The workflow will always be faster, especially if you want to pull multiple shots.

Taste - So far I prefer shots pulled with my Flair because it is better equipped than my Puristika: I am using a VST basket and a Smart Espresso Profiler. I have to get used to the E61 flow control in order to reproduce the profiles that I like. I am pretty confident it will produce comparable shots.

Loving the machine - I love both for different reasons:
- direct lever feedback and real time data visualization for the Flair,
- beautiful / compact design and reproducibility for the Puristika.

I am happy to have both, the best of the two worlds would probably be a Decent ;-)

Eiern

#75: Post by Eiern »

Visited the technicians shop today.

New over pressure valve (same as in La Marzocco machines) routed to the drip tray behind group exhaust.

New cable for powering pump and water inlet ready.

When I get the correct pump we will connect everything at my home.

Ursego (original poster)

#76: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Eiern wrote:New over pressure valve (same as in La Marzocco machines) routed to the drip tray
It's a very bad idea if the machine is equipped with FCD. The "Blooming" profile is fantastic, I am using it in almost every shot. This completely shuts off the flow for 30 seconds and the OPV drains ALL the water back into the tank. If the water drains into the tray, you will have to empty that tray every two shots (it's very small in Puristika), and refill the water tank very often.

In fact, all profiles (including "ramp down", "Slayer shot" and "sweet bump") will force you to empty the tray and refill the water tank much more often.

Eiern

#77: Post by Eiern replying to Ursego »

I agree that would be silly. Puristika drip tray is tiny and I have not connected a drain hose, it would also waste water for no good reason.

Standard setup is like you describe: the OPV adjustable from the face of the machine dumps excess water back to the water tank at the set pressure.

This is a different setup: The rotary vane pump has it's own internal bypass that is calibrated to a set pressure. It's a little similar but everything happens inside the pump. With a blind filter or puck resistance the pump itself will start to bypass/circle water internally so it can't push more water than the group or puck lets through, it won't exceed the set pressure.

This new internal OPV will be set to 12 bars for safety only: it will bleed a small amount of water if the pressure of the boiler exceed 12 bars. This will usually happen if the boiler is first pressurized to 9 bars by the pump for a shot, then new cold water is heated and expands raising the pressure beyond 12 bar. This will happen very rarely if at all for me as I usually set my pump bypass in the 6-7 bar range that I like for my unimodal burr light roast espressos.

You might actually see this happening with your stock Puristika too: check pressure on the manometer at the end of a shot. Then later it might read a bar or two higher.

Ursego (original poster)

#78: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Eiern wrote:I usually set my pump bypass in the 6-7 bar range
Have you done that in your Puristika? How? In mine, the range of the external OPV regulator is 8 to 12 bar. I have been using 8 for the last couple of weeks, but I would like to experiment with 7 and 6 too. Can I somehow change the range from "8 to 12" to "6 to 10"?

Eiern

#79: Post by Eiern replying to Ursego »

My Puristikas stock OPV only went down to 7.5 Bar at the lowest and up to 13. The OPV has a spring with a rubber gasket so with a softer or shorter spring it should be possible to go lower. My friends Puristika that I borrowed went down to 6 bars so the range probably vary a little.

The OPV has a little screw in it's side inside the machine, it's there so that you can't unscrew the adjustment screw completely. If you remove the screw it will leak water inside the machine (I tried it to let me have more range) but you might be able to seal the hole and go lower at your own risk. Example: just a shorter screw.

The screw goes in the groove on the middle here, which sets the operating range. Blue line is where the low set point would be I think.

By the way I could actually get 6 bars when my gasket got ruined shown in the picture, because it didn't seal fully

Omerr

#80: Post by Omerr »

I am still waiting for the flow control kit, but I have created my small Cafe at home. Thank you @Ursego for the information and inspiration.