ECM Puristika owner experience - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
evert

#41: Post by evert »

I can't find any other information regarding the Carola being a saturated group, it's the same "outdated" group as E61 then?
Perhaps you meant some other model?
I'm also looking for a machine just for espresso, so one of these would be perfect.
Thanks!

Omerr

#42: Post by Omerr »

Thank you for the response, but indeed I don't see an advantage for the Carola.
It's a pity that almost all high end machines are equipped with a steam wand and usually dual boiler. The result is a way bigger and more expensive machine. Even for someone who occasionally makes milk beverages I would just use a french press for frothing. And especially for us espresso lovers, I would expect to have more options like the Puristika.

Advertisement
Ursego (original poster)

#43: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

evert wrote:I can't find any other information regarding the Carola being a saturated group, it's the same "outdated" group as E61 then?
Obviously, it's E61 (as you see in the picture if you follow my link). You just asked about "another high quality machine with no steam wand other than the Puristika".
Omerr wrote:I don't see an advantage for the Carola.
I don't see it either.
Omerr wrote:for us espresso lovers, I would expect to have more options like the Puristika.
Which options are you talking about? The Flow Control Device gives you endless options. If you really need more options, consider Decent. Or buy any single-boiler machine with the saturated group and install a dimmer (probably, it's better than E61 + FCD if warm up time is important for you - I don't care about warm up time since I don't drink coffee immediately after waking up as I did before I got rid of caffeine addiction).

Omerr

#44: Post by Omerr »

Sorry, I was ambiguous. I meant that I would expect to have more machines such as the Puristika, great quality for espresso yet without the steam wand.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#45: Post by baldheadracing replying to Omerr »

There seems to be no market outside of machines with no/open boilers and thus are incapable of steam, e.g., Strietman CT2. There are many machines with a single closed boiler, and adding a steam wand adds very little to the price, while greatly increasing the potential market.

About the only high-end closed-boiler machine that I can think of that came with no steam wand was the La Marzocco Shot Brewer of a few years ago. (It was more-or-less a GS3 with no steam boiler.) Last used one I saw went for $3500.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Ursego (original poster)

#46: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:There seems to be no market outside of machines with no/open boilers and thus are incapable of steam, e.g., Strietman CT2. There are many machines with a single closed boiler, and adding a steam wand adds very little to the price, while greatly increasing the potential market.
Exactly! Many people who normally drink pure espresso, sometimes still make dairy drinks. Or at least they want to be able to do so for the future. My wife and I don't drink milk for dietary reasons, and that will never change. Steam wand costs pennies. Look at the ECM Classika PID - it's pretty much the same as the Puristika (but with steam) and only costs a few bucks more (basically the same price).

Omerr

#47: Post by Omerr replying to Ursego »

Interesting, what's the difference in size? I saw the Puristika and the Synchronika side by side and the difference was huge.

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#48: Post by JRising replying to Omerr »

Width-wise, nearly half. Pur = 7.25 inches wide, Syn = 13.25 inches wide (Very approximate). Depth and height not different enough to be surprising.

Omerr

#49: Post by Omerr replying to JRising »

Thanks, I meant the difference between the Puristika and thr Classica

JRising
Team HB

#50: Post by JRising »

A Classica is basically 2.5 to 3.5 inches longer in all dimensions...

Width X Height X Depth

7.25 X 12.5 X 14 (ignoring hoses) Puristica

9.75 X 16 X 17.5 Classica