ECM Puristika owner experience - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Eiern

#31: Post by Eiern »

EX4 / EX5 grams per seconds:
0 bar 7,65 / 11.05
2 bar 5,35 / 8.84
4 bar 4.42 / 7.14
6 bar 4.08 / 5.95
8 bar 3.74 / 5.1
10 bar 3.4 / 3.57

This means it will be fine to swap the pump for those making traditional espresso where you maintain more of a slow flow of 1-2g/s in cup throughout the shot. It might be a little underpowered for my turbo shots, or just enough. I'm not sure how they measure real life from the group, if the machine restrict the flow a little along the way.

My turbo shots with unimodal type big flat burrs usually peak high and then pressure fall off quick as flow increase, even with the rotary in the Bianca I had. Pressure is dependent on flow from group vs flow from puck. I bet there might be even more pressure drop with EX4 depending how the lowered pressure align with the pumps raised flow at lower pressures. Best scenario it works great. I also don't care much what the pressure is on the last part of the shot of my turbos. With SSP 98 Brew or 98 Low Uniformity shots didn't have much pressure at all but tasted great.

Omerr

#32: Post by Omerr »

Ursego, thank you for the thorough, informative and detailed post! Also, thank you for the photos.

May I ask where you got that nice mirror that you added? It seems like a really nice addition.

Thanks!

Ursego (original poster)

#33: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Omerr wrote:May I ask where you got that nice mirror that you added? It seems like a really nice addition.
Search "espresso mirror" on Amazon.

Omerr

#34: Post by Omerr »

Thank you!
If you have more thoughts about the Puristika after more usage, please share. I'll follow this thread

Ursego (original poster)

#35: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

The most important thing is the flow control device. What machine it is installed on is not so important. As I wrote, I bought the Puristika only because of the external tank (which resolves the ants problem). However, if ants are not a concern for you, a machine with the saturated group head (rather than outdated E61) and a dimmer mode for profiling would be a better choice. Search "espresso dimmer mode" on Youtube.

Omerr

#36: Post by Omerr »

Thanks again for the detailed response.

The thing is, as an espresso enthusiast who doesn't drink milk, I am looking for a great machine but without the steam wand. Great machines usually come with a dual boiler, and are way bigger and more expensive as a result. That's what I like about the Puristika so much.
I agree with your take about the E61, but I don't yet know of another high quality machine with no steam wand other than the Puristika. Do you have such machine in mind?

Eiern

#37: Post by Eiern »

Lowered noise flow about 3 dB today with some sound dampening mats in the hood. Removes overtones. First in a row of mods. I found the "cup warmer" part on the top lid to be a hot spot. Try just holding your palm on and off there while the pump is running to hear the difference.

Eiern

#38: Post by Eiern »

Eiern

#39: Post by Eiern »

It fits in there but not a lot of clearance considering the motor is rubber mounted so allowed to move a little.

Ursego (original poster)

#40: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Omerr wrote:I don't yet know of another high quality machine with no steam wand other than the Puristika. Do you have such machine in mind?
Quick Mill Carola Evo.