ECM Puristika owner experience - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Word_salad

#21: Post by Word_salad »

Would there be any reason to get this over the ECM Classika? I like the idea of a smaller footprint but if you don't have a nice place to put the water tank it isn't much different than an internal water tank? Everything else seems pretty similar, though I don't know how easy it is to adjust the opv on the classika

Ursego (original poster)

#22: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

howard seth wrote:Interesting Ursego. I see two vendors are selling the Puristika in the USA, Whole Latte Love and Clive Coffee - Clive's version cost is a bit more and they add a LUCCA Flow Control gauge, and paddle - in contrast to the ECM flow control device from Whole Lotte Love, which, I believe, is currently a free add-on. I have never ordered anything yet from either vendor.
Did you buy from either of these two dealers? Or somewhere else? (Or am I not supposed to ask such questions on this site?)
I am in a far Polar country named Canada :lol:, so I bought mine in IDrinkCoffe.

Ursego (original poster)

#23: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Eiern wrote:Uploaded a short video of me pulling a turbo shot with this
How did you change the OPV pressure to 6? In mine, the range is from 8 to 12.

Ursego (original poster)

#24: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Word_salad wrote:Would there be any reason to get this over the ECM Classika? I like the idea of a smaller footprint but if you don't have a nice place to put the water tank it isn't much different than an internal water tank?
Advantages of an external water tank
Word_salad wrote:I don't know how easy it is to adjust the opv on the classika
In Classica, the OPV pressure change is very easy too, on the top. You need a screwier, but you won't change it every day.

Ursego (original poster)

#25: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

That's how my FCD was looking with the small ball (before I bought the large paddle which you can see in the 1st post):

Eiern

#26: Post by Eiern »

Ursego wrote:How did you change the OPV pressure to 6? In mine, the range is from 8 to 12.
No idea it just does :lol:

I wouldn't be happy if I bought one for myself and it wouldn't go past 8 as I've been at 6 bars for many years now, I find lower pressures good with the big flats.

I think it's a missed opportunity that the Puristika doesn't have a rotary pump version that could plumbed to a water line eliminating the glass water tank entirely. For small footprint that would be a much neater setup. With the glass jug next to mine it doesn't take up that much less actual space than my Bianca, but it still looks less massive and leaves a little more area in front of the water tank.

Ursego (original poster)

#27: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Eiern wrote:I think it's a missed opportunity that the Puristika doesn't have a rotary pump version that could plumbed to a water line eliminating the glass water tank entirely.
Interesting: is it possible to plumb the Puristika through its existing IN & OUT ports? :mrgreen: In fact, I don't need that, the glass tank is excellent. The tray is not filled quickly since OPV returns water to the tank. I empty the tray once each two days when it's half-empty.
Eiern wrote:For small footprint that would be a much neater setup. With the glass jug next to mine it doesn't take up that much less actual space than my Bianca, but it still looks less massive and leaves a little more area in front of the water tank.
It's not only about saving place. Please read the link Advantages of an external water tank which I just gave. I was hunting an external tank machine and choosing between Puristika and Belezza Bellona. Puristika has won only because the ability to install FCD, even though it has an outdated group head full of disadvantages (in contrast to Bellona whith the modern saturated group). I didn't want to install a dimmer to Bellona in order not to break the warranty. If I would want a plumbable machine, I would definitely buy the Crem ONE PROFILER (no idea why it's ignored by the espresso lovers community which is only talking about Bianca).

Eiern

#28: Post by Eiern »

One of the Crem One 2B models with rotary pump is attractively priced here in Norway. I tend to like simplicity and it seems to have a lot going on in there. Bianca is pretty simple with the paddle being manual and only the PID controller being 'modern'. I do like that the water tank of the Bianca was isolated from the boilers. With the ECM HX I had the water tank right next to a big steam boiler seperated by a thin sheet metal.

Eiern

#29: Post by Eiern »

Anybody know the name of the water hose connections and the tubes I'd need to make my own slightly longer tubes to place watertank a little further away from the machine? Don't need braided tubes and would be great if angled connector exist to minimize space behind the machine.

Eiern

#30: Post by Eiern »

I bought one for myself today 8)

Started conversating with a technician about building an external rotary pump installation for silence, would be really cool. If not I'll install a Quick Mill Pulsor and dampen the hood.

I noticed how much slower the vibe pump + preinfusion chamber (soft spring) is compared to Bianca with it's stiff spring. So I think Ulka EX4 might be too slow unless stiff spring speed up things.

My OPV range was about 7.5-13 bars so it didn't go as low as my loaner one but it'll be low enough I guess. My turbo shots doesn't hit much pressure anyways.

I am awaiting a flow profiling kit, the Profitec one with black face, no logo, ECM is sold out most places I checked. I think it will match the existing pressure gauge maybe even better than the white, with black is in handles/lever/flow valve knob/hood and the numbers look just the same as the blue one on the machine while white is a little different. Really hope it includes a stiff spring as I don't know how to source one.