ECM Puristika "coming soon"? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DaveC

#11: Post by DaveC »

jtbenson wrote:see post 2, pic 2
seems flow control is included
No it's not, that was part of a collage....I had a flow control to try with it. They might decide to include one with the machine, they might not...I don't know. I have edited the image to avoid confusion.

The other person with the cat, that's not the production tank..which will be different and may have a better support system. Plus the tubes won't be pocking up like that.

Eiern

#12: Post by Eiern »

Regarding flow control, with some burrs I have used the flow control a little with my Bianca to help with the extraction. But with three SSP 98mm burrs (HU Brew and ULF) I actually get the best results with just open flow and 6,5 bars max into a blind filter. If I had a need for another machine on a second permanent location, or if I was getting my first machine, I'd probably get this one. I think it's stylish, cute, has the essentials and nothing more.

A Lagom P64 with Multi Purpose burrs and this one would make for a compact and great setup. Even the Lagom Mini can grind for espresso with very decent results according to one owner on EAF Discord.

Espressoman007

#13: Post by Espressoman007 »

I am all in for the pump machine with espresso mode only! For the first machine this would be a dream machine for me, but I am waiting to see Slayer manufacturing something like this, espresso only but in Slayer mode...I'd be willing to jump once more in to deep water!

Cheers!

HeadHop

#14: Post by HeadHop »

Found the user manual online and it seems that flow profiling is only from 8 to 12 bar... Hopefully they are mistaken !
But if it's true, do you think the ECM flow control paddle could be added ?
That would be the perfect machine for me with true flow control

Eiern

#15: Post by Eiern »

If I was to have this machine I'd like to know the maximum length for the water tubes to work, because I'd much rather have the tank on the shelf right underneath the machine and leave the countertop of my cart for other stuff like grinders and just more open space.

One thing that seemed a little odd with the units at the messe and probably production units was that the water hoses and power chord seemed to stick out a fair bit and thus require some space at the back of the unit, making it take up as much space as a deeper machine but with cable from underneath and slim watertank built in...

But angled socket cable and water tubes without metal wrap running to shelf under the machine would make make it as compact as it can be.

Eiern

#16: Post by Eiern »

Size compared to Synchronika

Eiern

#17: Post by Eiern »

Would be cool to mod it with external rotary pump and have that plumbed in.

DaveC

#18: Post by DaveC »

HeadHop wrote:Found the user manual online and it seems that flow profiling is only from 8 to 12 bar... Hopefully they are mistaken !
But if it's true, do you think the ECM flow control paddle could be added ?
That would be the perfect machine for me with true flow control
The ECM flow control paddle can be added and will work fine. Then the pressure management via the modified expansion valve works extremely well to manage the maximum profiling pressure. As you may know, with a paddle and sufficient resistance the pressure will always move to the maximum set, even if the flow is extremely low. Profiling range is usually achieved by setting the machines pressure to 10 bars, in case you want to peak the profile. After that it's not so easy to change it for different coffees, or to mitigate a rise when you only want 8 bar. The expansion valve based knob makes it easy.

I think the vibration pump would probably prime OK from a shelf under the machine..

ECM are being cautious with the profiling ability, thinking about the number of turns required and the ability of the valve to handle very low pressures. Also the lifespan of any valve. There is a modification I have done on mine which makes maintenance very easy and less of a worry....but it's not something ECM would ever countenance. doing. I have been thinking about the pros and cons of putting out a video..Jury is still out on that one.

Eiern

#19: Post by Eiern »

DaveC is the warmup very fast or like 1 hour for the grouphead to fully catch up to the boiler? It doesn't overheat like Bianca to get the bell hot faster?

As I haven't used the paddle with my Bianca with my current grinders all I would want was a pressure gauge on the grouphead, ideally the same blue design as the one on the machine, and possibly the firm spring that bypass the preinfusion, but I would try it with soft spring first. Only thing I use my Bianca paddle for is setting the flow rate I want out of the group.

I find the group head pressure gauge very handy in dialing in a bean, it's easy to see if it's stalling at the max pressure or if it doesn't reach much pressure at all and how fast it declines. I usually start dialing in a bean to where it just hits the max pump pressure I've set and then tweak by taste. The pressure gauge showing the pressure of the pump uneffected by what's happening to the puck is almost useless to me. I can check the OPV setting against a blind filter and the group head gauge.

I am still drawn to this little machine, but I don't have a need for it as I have the Bianca, and I do steam milk every now and then so wouldn't make sense do switch. Only if I needed space for even more grinders and just refuse serving milk :lol:

Eiern

#20: Post by Eiern »