ECM flow control installation - Page 10

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#91: Post by Nunas »

Kpurpose10 wrote:The knob does not want to detach from the valve. They sent me a new one and same thing. All other kits have the knob as a separate piece. Any advice how to get this knob off? Only the black ball unscrews off.
Well, that's interesting. They may have changed the design; mine is an early version, one of the first. However, I still have it and have taken a close look at the knob (round ball version). The way it is constructed is the knob/ball has a female thread, into which the grub screw is threaded. The opposite end of the grub screw is pointed (of course, you can't see that as it's still in the collar). Look closely at the end of the grub screw that's sticking out of the collar (the bit onto which the knob was screwed). If they have not changed the design, you should see a hexagonal hole. Using an Allen key of the appropriate size, you should be able to loosen the grub screw from the collar, adjust the valve, re-tighten the screw, and reinstall the knob. On the ECM FCD kits I've seen, when unscrewing the knob, the grub screw comes out of the collar. For some reason, yours is the reverse.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#92: Post by PIXIllate »

I have the round ball version. If you're referring to removing the top sleeve that the knob threads into then just loosen the knob a bit and use it to wiggle the whole top cover off.

Kpurpose10

#93: Post by Kpurpose10 »

The screw would not budge with kit and machine cold. I attempted to remove with pliers again when the machine was warm after making shots earlier in the day. It still was not budging but to my surprise the next morning it came off with ease. Attempting to loosen the crew while warm at the end of the previous day MUST have helped the screw to loosen as it fell right off. I was able to further tighten the valve. I t was a struggle with the pliers but ultimately it closed. No water comes from the group head when FC knob is closed. I am finally happy!

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#94: Post by Nunas »

Eureka! I'm glad it finally worked out. I'm curious to know, though, why you had to use pliers. Does your grub screw not have the little hex socket on the knob end that mine has?

Kpurpose10

#95: Post by Kpurpose10 »

Yes, it did have that screw and I had no allen wrench at the time. ;)