ECM flow control installation - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
adcampo (original poster)

#11: Post by adcampo (original poster) »

Yep, I did that.

Closed
1/4 turn - 4.1gm per second
1/2 turn - 5.75 gm per second
3/4 turn - 10gm per second
Full - 11.25gm per second

The odd thing is the new gauge goes from about 10 bar in the open position down to only 8bar in the closed position.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Nunas »

The pressure displayed at the group head is more a reflection of the grind's coarseness than it is the control's position. However, they interact to some degree, especially at the extremes of the control's setting.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Nunas »

adcampo wrote: Closed
1/4 turn - 4.1gm per second
1/2 turn - 5.75 gm per second
3/4 turn - 10gm per second
Full - 11.25gm per second
<snip>
Something seems off to me here. I believe that most of us have reported that normal water debit happens around 1.25 to 1.5 turns.
Mine is as follows:
Off = none
1/4 = 1.2
1/2 = 4.2
3/4 = 5.7
1 = 7.8
1.25 = 8.4
1.5 = 9.7
1.75 = 23 < this is not a typo :)

#14: Post by adcampo (original poster) »

Yeah,

I actually typed it wrong. Clearly mine is not fully seated.

Closed - 4.1gm per second
1/4 turn - 5.75gm per second
1/2 turn - 8.15 per second
3/4 - 10gm per second
1 turn - 11.25gm per second

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Nunas »

Okay! That cinches it. As already suggested, your control is not closing. Here's how to fix it, assuming it isn't defective. Loosen the knob, which releases the collar from the spline. Turn the control down all the way closed. Be sure not to turn it down really hard, but you should feel a spot where the needle bottoms into the valve's seat, and it does not want to turn down any farther. Tighten the knob/setscrew. Fire up the machine and rerun your water debit test.

If this does not work, then note that some users have reported a 'gritty' action. If this is the case, perhaps your control is fetching up on a rough bit before it actually closes. Mine was like that. I fixed it by running it fully open and closed a few times with the knob loose. This is easier to do if removed from the machine, which gets the springs out of the way. Eventually, the action became smoother, and the needle went further into the seat in a proper closed position.

#16: Post by adcampo (original poster) »

That did it. The set screw was off by quite a bit. Installation error on my part. Thank you.
New numbers:

Closed - Nothing!
1/4 - 3.6gm
1/2 - 6.05gm
3/4 - 8.0gm
1 -10.2gm
1 1/4. -12.4gm
1 1/5. -14.6gm

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by PIXIllate »

Glad you're on track. You may want to have a look at this thread for a more advanced read on the subject.

A More Considered Approach to E61 Flow Control

Mggray87

#18: Post by Mggray87 »

I just received this flow control for my synchronika.

I tested:

I did.not change the lower spring.

Closed - 0/s
1/4 turn - 3.78
1/2 turn - 5.8
3/4 turn - 7.66
1 full turn - 9.18
1 1/4 turn - 10.77

I test 1 1/2 turn it was faster but my machine was loud running that so I'm assuming it's to fast so I won't plan on ever going past 1 1/4. Probably safe to stay just at 1 full turn max?

Does this look right???

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by PIXIllate »

It looks fine. I would say 3/4 turn position would be all you should need for maximum flow. Beyond that and the machine will become VERY demanding of puck prep and not really offer any benefits in the cup.

Mggray87

#20: Post by Mggray87 replying to PIXIllate »

I should have tested the flow before I changed it. But so your saying 3/4 should be max to standard use. And not one full turn. I'll have to play with it because right now we're just trying to make lattes and run it on standard mode