E61 portafilter handle replacement, basket options

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nile13

Postby nile13 » Dec 04, 2018, 3:45 pm

I've been thinking of replacing the handle of my QM Anita's with something wooden and nice. However, I've been utterly unable to take the portafilter handle off.

So, I have about 4-5 portafilters between the 2 Anitas in two different places. Lets concentrate on what's currently in front of me. The butt end of the handle is open, but inside there seems to be a plastic inset, about 1-2" deep. it seems to have some ridges on it, almost like something that a giant Allen key would fit into. And I mean giant, about 3/4" or so., you can kind of see it here: https://www.1st-line.com/buy/rancilio-f ... er-handle/ I'm sure that there's a head of a bolt that holds the portafilter to the handle right behind it. But how do I get to it? The portafilter doesn't unscrew any other way that I've tried. That included boiling the damn thing in water.

The other question relates to the baskets. I assume that I'm using a standard Rancilio 58mm portafilter and basket. Some of the naked filters come with a triple basket. Which should be a bit too much for 18g that I'm trying to use, no? My current portafilter with a double spout seems to be a triple basket as well. 18g leaves about 1/4" between the screen and top of the tamped puck. There's liquid on top after the shot and the shots are a little strange with low crema. The other Anita with double basket in the naked filter gives more crema and no liquid on top. Any thoughts on this, other than "go get a proper double basket"? If so, which inexpensive basket to get that would fit those current generic naked portafilters like this one?: https://www.1st-line.com/buy/1st-line-3 ... rtafilter/

nile13

Postby nile13 » Dec 06, 2018, 9:17 pm

So... anyone?

Jake_G

Postby Jake_G » replying to nile13 » Dec 07, 2018, 12:38 am

Email (don't PM) Dave Stephens.
(cannonfodder)
His email is in the first post of Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine.

WRT baskets, the espresso parts HQ14 baskets seem to be a local favorite if you're not going with VST, IMS or Decent baskets.

Cheers!

- Jake