E61 mushroom check for scale, and pressure drop

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Gig103

#1: Post by Gig103 »

I have read Erics' post Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale and I'm ready. One thing that wasn't clear to me is if I need to have replacement gaskets on hand (white on my QM machine and in Erics' post), or can they be reused?

(I couldn't reply to existing threads, it kept saying they were locked)

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

If you are just pulling the mushroom to check, you don't need new gaskets.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Gig103 (original poster)

#3: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

Thanks!

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Scott is most correct.

The "gaskets" are Teflon and will reseal almost indefinitely. Scale on the mushroom assembly itself is indicative of scale elsewhere but as another poster said in another thread, the mushroom simply "attracts" scale.

What is important is the condition of the internals and this can be cured with a bit of white vinegar soaking for an hour or so.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Gig103 (original poster)

#5: Post by Gig103 (original poster) replying to erics »

Hi Eric,
First off, your comment from 2008 of "Once you do this (and I can understand the trepidation), you will wonder why it took so many words to describe a simple procedure" rings very true right now.

Tonight I found some very minor scale (compared to photos seen here) on the mushroom. I'm soaking the parts in vinegar now but haven't poured any into the group. Despite the minor scale, I am concerned there is scale elsewhere because I have started experiencing what CCS thinks is vapor lock from either the vacuum breaker not opening/closing cleanly, or the fill probe having scale. They've instructed me to start by removing my fill valve and if that doesn't seem to fix it I will post another thread for additional advice.

I didn't have my drip tray in place and so when I removed the brew valve it made a mess. I didn't prepare for leftover water in there even though logic dictates it has to have water, or else break the thermosyphon loop :oops:

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

There are only two places in the thermosyphon loop that leaks can occur which are not readily noticeable. One is the brew valve where the ~225F water will flash to steam and condense in the brew path. The other is the check valve at the entrance to the heat exchanger.

A leak at the brew valve will manifest itself by an overly moistened basket or empty portafilter in the group. A check valve leak will show up as warm teflon tubing from the pump discharge to that check valve.

A slightly corroded boiler level probe will raise the level of water in the boiler and reduce group head temperatures slightly; a faulty vacuum breaker valve will be audible.
Skål,

Eric S.

Gig103 (original poster)

#7: Post by Gig103 (original poster) replying to erics »

My portafilter usually has a fair bit of condensation in it. So today I heated it up with a blind basket, and after 20-30 or so minutes there was 1/4 tsp worth of water inside. This is after the descale, does this count as "overly moistened in your opinion?

I still have to remove the fill probe per CCS but when I call them back should I be mentioning this moisture as well?

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Yes and yes. Replace the brew valve and lubricate cam contact surfaces with Dow 111.

I see no need to remove the fill probe other than preventative maintenance but, if you do, clean the tip area with silicone carbide 220 grit paper.

Refer them to this thread.
Skål,

Eric S.

Gig103 (original poster)

#9: Post by Gig103 (original poster) replying to erics »

Thanks Eric. Just to clarify your comment about the fill probe, do you think this brew valve leak could instead be causing the drop in steam pressure? That is what CCS was having me check my probe for. I am trying to determine if I maybe have two issues.

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

. . . do you think this brew valve leak could instead be causing the drop in steam pressure?
No.

For sure, it is "duck soup" to simply replace the brew valve (with a touch of proper lubrication). But, until I get the time, it is a good move to refer to Randy Glass' site as regards E-61 disassembly and lubrication. See this: http://www.espressomyespresso.com/ - section 19 in the "how-to" section.
Skål,

Eric S.