E61 HX - installing pump pressure gauge, but gauge isn't starting at 'zero/0'

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jtferraro

#1: Post by jtferraro »

Like others, I've decided to check my Rocket Appartamento's pump pressure by installing a gauge in the E61's grouphead. Since I already had an Eric's thermometer, this required removing it first. The first issue I noticed, prior to even installing the gauge, was that it wasn't at 'zero/0'. Instead, it seemed to be at 'one/1'. I figured this issue may resolve itself once installed and hit with some pressure. Unfortunately, upon successfully installing and testing the gauge, this wasn't the case. Have others had similar experiences? This is the gauge I ordered, from The Espresso Shop, UK (although mine doesn't have the name 'Orman' on its face):

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/La ... -4287.aspx

Also of note, since I assumed my Appartamento was likely pushing at least 12 bar (apparently common for these units), I had previously adjusted the OPV valve down. Despite previously doing so, with blind basket installed, I'm getting a reading of ~12.2 bar, but since the gauge is starting at ~1.4, I guess it's closer to 11, which is still high.

Thoughts, experiences & suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
-Jeff

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would contact via e-mail the vendor and ask what the calibration procedure is to 'zero' the dial pointer.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jtferraro (original poster)

#3: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Good point - I already sent them an email.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Most inexpensive manometers are not adjustable. I have two like this. The one that came with my ECM FCD kit zeros at about 0.5 bar. The one that came with my Coffee Sensor kit has the needle hard against the stop pin; it does not start to move until there's about 1 bar of pressure. I had similar pressure gauges on our motor yacht, which were adjustable. Look on the top or the back for a little rubber plug. Removing and reinstalling the plug zeros the gauge. Another manometer had a spot on the back that one could grab with a wrench; holding it firmly, the bezel could be rotated to adjust. From your photo, though, yours, like mine, looks lit it isn't adjustable. Best to ask the supplier to replace it.

#5: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will take a look and await feedback from the company I ordered it from.
-Jeff

#6: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Still awaiting feedback from The Espresso Shop, UK, but in the meantime wanted to ask if it's normal to now hear a specific sound while the pump ramps up to full pressure (currently ~11bar)? I guess it's the sound of the actual pressure gauge? Interesting.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

jtferraro wrote:Still awaiting feedback from The Espresso Shop, UK, but in the meantime wanted to ask if it's normal to now hear a specific sound while the pump ramps up to full pressure (currently ~11bar)? I guess it's the sound of the actual pressure gauge? Interesting. Thanks,
Can you record the sound and post it? I'm not sure if I know to what you are referring. I've never heard a manometer make any noise. On an e61, with the flow control open fairly wide, there can be a whooshing or squealing sound; I attribute this to vibration when the preinfusion valve moves quickly, although I'm not sure of that.

#8: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Yes, I'll try to record/post it but what you described is accurate - it's a whooshing sound.
Thanks,
-Jeff

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Nunas »

It happens just about the time the preinfusion valve moves. I'd remove the manometer, plug the hole and see if it's there without the manometer. I bet it will be. On my Synchronika, if I open the flow control all the way, I get a much louder version of that sound. Of course, the useable range of the control is nowhere near fully open. I run it from closed to 1.25 turns open, most often from 1/2 to 3/4 turns open. I have the stock spring in my e61. If you've changed out the spring for the stronger one that comes with FCD kits, then everything I've said is wrong :lol:
Edit: I just reread your opening post...no FCD kit. So, in essence, your e61 is running like one with FCD opened to 1.25 to 1.5 turns. I still think it's the preinfusion valve.

#10: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Correct - no FCD installed and I actually didn't hear this sound prior to swapping out Eric's Thermometer for this manometer. Well, considering my Appartamento still has too much pump pressure, my next steps will be to open it back up, turn it down more and retest. My goal is for 10 bar at the group head, correct? Of course, I'll have to consider the fact this manometer isn't starting at zero/0...or prior to adjusting OPV, remove the manometer to determine if the screw on its backside has anything to do with calibration, and retest. Fun... :roll:
-Jeff