E61 HX - installing pump pressure gauge, but gauge isn't starting at 'zero/0' - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jtferraro (original poster)

#11: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Removed manometer and tried turning small Phillips head screw on backside, but it has nothing to do with calibration. Fortunately, I've heard back from The Espresso Shop UK. They confirmed it's sealed and are going to ship me another. :D
-Jeff

#12: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Update: I received the new pump pressure gauge from The Espresso Shop, UK. It is perfect - actually starts at 'zero/0', as it should. I removed the previous one and installed this one this morning and I'm now getting a hair shy of 10 bar with the backflush disk and nearly 9 bar pulling a regular 18g double shot. I'll monitor it for the next few days to ensure its consistency, and my accurate capturing of that data, but any initial thoughts regarding whether or not I should make any further OPV adjustments?

Thank you,
-Jeff

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Nunas »

jtferraro wrote:Update: I received the new pump pressure gauge from The Espresso Shop, UK. It is perfect - actually starts at 'zero/0', as it should. I removed the previous one and installed this one this morning and I'm now getting a hair shy of 10 bar with the backflush disk and nearly 9 bar pulling a regular 18g double shot. I'll monitor it for the next few days to ensure its consistency, and my accurate capturing of that data, but any initial thoughts regarding whether or not I should make any further OPV adjustments? Thank you,
I'm glad your gauge is now working properly. Sadly, off-kilter, inexpensive manometers are frequently encountered. As for the pressure, 9 bar has always been considered standard. However, many spring lever machines don't produce this amount of pressure, and the pressure on them drops off as the puck erodes. If you hunt around here on H-B, you'll find threads where folks have been using somewhat lower pressures.

#14: Post by jtferraro (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:As for the pressure, 9 bar has always been considered standard. However, many spring lever machines don't produce this amount of pressure, and the pressure on them drops off as the puck erodes. If you hunt around here on H-B, you'll find threads where folks have been using somewhat lower pressures.
Yes, for these reasons I think I'm going to keep it adjusted as is for now (just about 10 bar with backflush disk, just about 9 bar via 18g double). My understanding is that 10 bar at the grouphead is similar to 9 bar from a regular stock (inboard) manometer. If this is the case, I'm assuming my 18g double shot would be reading 8 bar if my machine had a stock (inboard) brew pressure gauge manometer?

Thanks again Nunas,
-Jeff