E61 Group Pressure Correlation to Brew Pressure - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Tonefish (original poster)

#11: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

JayBeck wrote: What does Eric's brew pressure gauge look like when installed?
From memory (I'll correct this later if wrong) the gauge is about 2.5" in diameter and reads in psi. It is connected to a thin, clear, plastic tube about 18"-24" long and the other end connects directly into the erics thermometer adapter in the group. It was very convenient that it is has the tube versus a direct readout on the group, because it allowed me to put that gauge down next to the brew gauge so that I could video the response, which is the only way to record the readouts. Besides, I'll be using the thermometer in the long run anyway, so it didn't really matter whether it has the gauge on the group like the thermometer, or for example, the Lelit Bianca gauge.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

JayBeck

#12: Post by JayBeck replying to Tonefish »

That's good for testing but not something I would keep in since it doesn't seat in the group. I think Eric's Thermometer is great for letting you know when the group is at temp (the touch test doesn't work there because it feels 'hot' even when the group is only 170-180) and to periodically test if the machine is functioning properly on a dual boiler machine.

I'm interested in something like the Lelit's for long term use, especially if I plumb my machine and start playing with line pressure preinfusion. Would be nice to have 1 adapter in the m6 fitting that could be swapped out quickly. In other words, we just need Eric to make another version that is more elegant for a long term solution allowing users to easily swap between temp and pressure.

#13: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

Jake_G wrote: Typical definition is to weigh a 30 second dose of water straight out of the group with no portafilter. This allows you to calculate the flow coefficient for the factory gicleur, which is useful in determining expected performance in a variety of situations. The typical water debit number is "such and such grams in 30 seconds".

Thanks!

- Jake
Is this typically done with a fully heated group or just after the heater turns off the first time, or does it matter?

Jake_G
Team HB

#14: Post by Jake_G »

Flow is affected by SG of the fluid, but we're talking ~4% change from STP to boiling, so I figure if the water is hot, you should be good to go!
LMWDP #704

#15: Post by Tonefish (original poster) replying to Jake_G »

Thanks Jake! I was curious because of the heated group possibly allowing vaporization before exiting the group, and because water boils at 201F at my altitude.

So I ran a couple tries and of course, they differed. :roll: Unfortunately I did not have the camera running for the first one, but it was just after I awoke and the temp was 209F so I needed to flush and went ahead and did a measurement. Now, keeping in mind I hadn't had my coffee yet, the results were 87g in 20s w/ a brew gauge (Lelit) pressure of ~4.5 bar (I think :oops: ). I know ... supposed to be 30s ... reduced confidence on this measurement.

So I pulled a couple shots with routine, and did another debit flush. This time the group was around 201F and the result was 180g (I did the conversion from ml :wink: ignoring the 3-4% ) in 30s at ~3.5 bar. Not sure what accounts for the difference besides possibly vaporization or dim wits on my first one. The machine was definitely in different thermal states between the two.

EDIT: pic added

So how do I use these numbers? I had looked up simple orifice calcs and never converged on a dynamic viscosity guess.

Thanks for your help!!

Jake_G
Team HB

#16: Post by Jake_G »

Good call on the effect of flash boiling.

Cv (the Coefficient of Flow) is a physical property of a fluid "device" (valve, orifice, system of pipes, etc...). There are some assumptions made as to when you can calculate Cv and apply it to predict performance under different circumstances. One such assumption is that the flow is not mixed...

Cv is calculated as the flow rate (in Gph) times the square root of the specific gravity divided by the pressure drop (in PSI). This number remains constant and is a predictor of the pressure drop across the gicleur at various flow rates.

Thus, if you know the flow rate, you can predict the pressure drop across the gicleur. Pump pressure minus this drop gets you puck pressure. But also, measuring puck pressure gets you puck pressure... I would think that measuring it will be more accurate than calculating it but the calculation error should be small. I'll run some numbers and see if my brain hurts less after looking at your data again.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

#17: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

Jake_G wrote:Good call on the effect of flash boiling.

Cv (the Coefficient of Flow) is a physical property of a fluid "device" (valve, orifice, system of pipes, etc...). There are some assumptions made as to when you can calculate Cv and apply it to predict performance under different circumstances. One such assumption is that the flow is not mixed...

Cv is calculated as the flow rate (in Gph) times the square root of the specific gravity divided by the pressure drop (in PSI). This number remains constant and is a predictor of the pressure drop across the gicleur at various flow rates.

This, if you know the flow rate, you can predict the pressure drop across the gicleur. Pump pressure minus this drop gets you puck pressure. But also, measuring puck pressure gets you puck pressure... I would think that measuring it will be more accurate than calculating it but the calculation error should be small. I'll run some numbers and see if my brain hurts less after looking at your data again.

Cheers!

- Jake
Cool! I've been looking at the equations and I'll crunch some numbers too. Good idea to work backwards to the flow coefficient from having the flow rate. So final question, the delta P is Lelit gauge pressure minus atmospheric?

Jake_G
Team HB

#18: Post by Jake_G »

Tonefish wrote:So final question, the delta P is Lelit gauge pressure minus atmospheric?
For water debit, yes. It will be Lelit gauge pressure minus puck pressure when pulling a shot. No difference should mean no (or extremely low) flow.
LMWDP #704

#19: Post by Tonefish (original poster) replying to Jake_G »

Puck pressure? Won't puck pressure vary from gauge pressure at the top of the puck to atmospheric pressure at the bottom of the puck?

EDIT: I'm vaguely recalling some plots with reversed labels.

EDIT2: Now that I look at the calculations again I recall wondering about the pipe diameter. I was half-expecting someone had already come up with a simple rule-of-thumb calculation based upon this 30s flow volume/mass and pressure thing.

Jake_G
Team HB

#20: Post by Jake_G »

Tonefish wrote:Puck pressure? Won't puck pressure vary from gauge pressure at the top of the puck to atmospheric pressure at the bottom of the puck?

EDIT: I'm vaguely recalling some plots with reversed labels.
Yeah, I vaguely remember that, too... :P

ok, plugging in your water debit numbers:

As long as the OPV is closed, the pressure and flow relationship during a flush are driven by your pump curve, which is a little on the low side (flow should be more like 220mL/30 seconds @ 3.5 Bar or pressure should be more like 6 Bar at 180mL/30s. See pump curve below...) but this could be due to the PI chamber "stealing" some of the water during the test. @ 3.5 Bar, the PI valve should be cracked, so that's a definite possibility... However, the shape of the chart above is based on the Cv of your gicleur. If you get a smaller gicleur, the pressure drop will increase, and the pump will follow its curve to deliver less water and the shape of the curve above will get steeper (higher pressure) and shorter (less water debit means we stop at maybe 4.5 mL/s instead of 6).

Ignoring the inconsistencies, we can apply the calculated Cv and estimate the pressure drop during a shot if we know the instantaneous flow rate:

This assumes a constant pump pressure of 9 bar. I didn't bother going out beyond 6mL/s, because that's your water debit. Your machine will never be able to exceed that flow, even unimpeded. In fact, if we correct for the capabilities of the Ulka vibe pump:

We notice that above ~4.33mL/s (260mL/min), the pressure begins dropping from our target 9 bar. Drawing a line on our puck pressure chart from 9 bar @ 4.33mL/s and ending at 3.5 Bar @ 6mL/s (our measured water debit), we see what increased flow through the gicleur does to puck pressure when fed by an Ulka. Behold:

OK.

So what this is saying is that IFF your puck is so porous or eroded that it flows 5mL/s (Super Lungo!), the pump will only be able to muster around 6.8 bar to the inlet of the gicleur. The gicleur will then have a pressure drop associated with this flow of just under 2.5 bar, so the resulting pressure at the puck is only 4.4 bar. You can see how the OPV flattens out the pump curve for flow rates of less than 4.5mL/S and leads to much better (or at least predictable) performance in the typical range of espresso brewing.

Cheers!

-Jake
LMWDP #704