E61 group head, coffee natural lubrication effect reduced by the puck screen

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Giampiero

#1: Post by Giampiero »

Considering i never provided a group head cleaning with detergent since i use the puck screen, i anyway noted an harder movement of the lever, and i frankly never had such behavior prior the use of the puck screen.
Yesterday i dismantled the group to provide a check and a lubrication, it was very clean, sign that the puck screen work well to prevent coffee particles to backflush while discharge.
Anyone noted such behavior or it could be plausible that a puck screen could reduce the natural coffee lubrication so requiring a more frequent manual lubrication of the group parts?

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by PIXIllate »

Yep, it's the reason I had to stop using the Matrix shower screen. The e61 machines rely on a certain amount of coffee oils and screens like these do such a good job of preventing it they leave you with a tight, squeaky lever. When I was trying the Matrix screen I took the group apart and relubed it. It lasted about 5 days. I decided that I like the screen but not enough to relube the group once a week. I recently got a Bplus screen for the odd really difficult coffee that needs PERFECT water distribution. I doubt I'll use it much.

Other machines don't require the coffee oils so the screens are fine to use.

Bluenoser

#3: Post by Bluenoser »

I put a drop of extra virgin olive oil in my blind basket and do 3 flushes to lube the lever after a chemical wash. Many think that is a bad idea as it might go bad and leave a taste.. but I learned about it from another and have been doing it for several years with no ill effects or taste. Now I generally only do that once between chemical cleans (every 3 mo for me), but another option.

User avatar
D_Prince

#4: Post by D_Prince »

Bluenoser wrote:I put a drop of extra virgin olive oil in my blind basket and do 3 flushes to lube the lever after a chemical wash.
Why extra virgin? Wouldn't filtered olive oil be a better choice?

User avatar
D_Prince

#5: Post by D_Prince »

How many people who bought are still using this? I had a high end IMS. Feel like the loss of body vs any incremental gains might be a net loss. Anyone else feel this way?

User avatar
Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

Puck screen? Every shot, every day.

Between general cleanliness and the potential for better tasting coffee, I use it and clean it in my weekly schedule with baskets and the like.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

D_Prince wrote:How many people who bought are still using this? I had a high end IMS. Feel like the loss of body vs any incremental gains might be a net loss. Anyone else feel this way?
Nope. I wonder if we're both thinking about the same gadget. I use sintered metal puck screens every day. They sit atop the puck, not under it. So, I don't understand how this could lead to loss of body. Are you perhaps thinking about the paper filters some folks put in the bottom of their portafilter? There's another thread here about putting sintered metal puck screens under the puck, but as I recall the majority of opinion was that this did nothing in the cup and only served to reduce the amount of grinds the PF would hold.

chipman

#8: Post by chipman »

Why Olive oil? Wouldn't a more neutral flavored oil be a better choice? Besides, Uncle Roger says that olive oil is only good for salads.

User avatar
D_Prince

#9: Post by D_Prince »

I am totally in the wrong post. I was remarking about the Matrix shower screen. :oops:

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Nunas »

PIXIllate wrote:Yep, it's the reason I had to stop using the Matrix shower screen. The e61 machines rely on a certain amount of coffee oils and screens like these do such a good job of preventing it they leave you with a tight, squeaky lever. When I was trying the Matrix screen I took the group apart and relubed it. It lasted about 5 days. I decided that I like the screen but not enough to relube the group once a week. I recently got a Bplus screen for the odd really difficult coffee that needs PERFECT water distribution. I doubt I'll use it much. Other machines don't require the coffee oils so the screens are fine to use.
Chris, what lube are you using? I noticed the same phenomenon when using the sintered metal puck screens (same material as the Matrix), but I get way more than five days when I lube the cam on my Synchronika; currently I'm up to two weeks since I last lubed and no sign of lack of lube. I use Danco plumber's grease, which is very thick and non-toxic (not all plumbers grease is non-toxic). I was using Haynes Lubri-Film, which is much thinner; I found it washed away after a week or so.