E61 brew temperature (Cannonfodder Device) - Page 7

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#61: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

barry wrote:the response time on those thermometers is so slow that what you propose really isn't worth the effort.
Barry is correct, the response time on the thermometer is slow. Keep in mind that this little rig is a reference point, not an absolute. I know with coffee X, if I flush down to temp Y, wait Z seconds and brew, I get the best cup. Using that methodology, it does not matter if the thermometer shows 180 or 230, it is simply a reference point. It has ± variable of something like 3 degrees. Based on taste, I think my thermometer ran about 2 degrees high. After all, taste is the final measure of your work.

It worked good for me and provided a reasonable amount of accuracy; it helped me learn the HX flush dance. I don't even use it anymore, I have learned to read the water and hit my temperature with reasonable amount of repetition.

And no the omegalock fittings did not work, but I recycled one into a lever machine and digital thermostat, not a PID, but an old school non logic thermostat so I can easily play with boiler temperatures.

If I were doing it again, I would go with Eric's adapter and a thermocouple, much more accurate, if that is your end goal.
Dave Stephens

arossphoto

#62: Post by arossphoto »

cannonfodder wrote:Using that methodology, it does not matter if the thermometer shows 180 or 230, it is simply a reference point. It has ± variable of something like 3 degrees. Based on taste, I think my thermometer ran about 2 degrees high. After all, taste is the final measure of your work.
That's exactly what I had in mind. At this point I don't necessarily care what the actual temp is. It would certainly be nice, but more importantly I would like to have a reference point to help me repeat things once I've found something that works. That reference point could be a number, a colour, three cherries, whatever. :wink:

Thanks,

Andrew

barry

#63: Post by barry »

arossphoto wrote:That's exactly what I had in mind. At this point I don't necessarily care what the actual temp is. It would certainly be nice, but more importantly I would like to have a reference point to help me repeat things once I've found something that works. That reference point could be a number, a colour, three cherries, whatever.
then save your time/money and use the second hand on your watch, or count in your head, or whatever. the accuracy and results are about the same.

Compass Coffee

#64: Post by Compass Coffee replying to barry »

Which is exactly what I do, count from flash and go, to usually within <1f variance target shot temp accuracy. However, when entertaining it's kind of rude to have to shush someone mid sentence so you can hear the flash and count. Hence the desire by some for a more elegant HX visual targeting temp solution.
Mike McGinness