Dried Milk/Coconut Milk Powder in Handpresso for Frothing?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
truemagellen

#1: Post by truemagellen » Sep 11, 2019, 11:08 am

So I have had my Handpresso squirreled away for several years, I actually have two I thought I gave away one.

Now that I see there are upgrades to making a decent single shot and portable grinder options exploded. I also saw this:

milk pods!? For their auto 12v coffee brew unit. It's a pod with milk coffee and/or sugar / chocolate. I only drink straight but for the wife...has anyone tried this in their Handpresso?

https://www.handpresso.com/en/25-soft-pods

Furthermore has anyone out milk powder into the handpresso ground basket, tamp it, and pulled a shot with hot water?

Debating if I want to revive this for travel as a Cafelat Robot is just too big for international travel and I'm getting sick of fancy instant coffee.

truemagellen

#2: Post by truemagellen » Sep 13, 2019, 11:56 am

I'll have to try this out on my own and report back.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by baldheadracing » Sep 13, 2019, 6:10 pm

Those Senseo pods look to be way too big for a Handpresso.

I use my Handpresso occasionally - I even have a dosing funnel and tight-fitting tamper that I found on a (edit: corrected location, link to ebay added) Taiwan website that makes loading those baskets much easier. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Lightwei ... 2496341138

The intenso/ristretto 'portafilter' makes the Handpresso work, though. The stock portafilter always just gave me watery espresso. With the intenso I wasn't able to get an actual 'ristretto,' (1:1 brew ratio) but I am able to get a 1:2 brew ratio and similar extractions as a pump machine like a Silvia.

It does seem kinda weird having a grinder larger than the espresso machine, though. (I use a Hausgrind or Lido2.)
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

truemagellen

#4: Post by truemagellen » Sep 13, 2019, 8:11 pm

Thank you for this info. I found the site for the funnel and tamper and will machine something similar. The senseo is for a different machine of there but I thought I'd emulate.