Downgraditus?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Endo

#1: Post by Endo »

I assume everyone must hear the same comments "Are you planning on running a cafe?".

With all the big expensive gear owned by people in this forum, is anybody willing to admit they went too far and would have been happier with their old smaller, simpler setup?

If you were do it all over, what would you settle with knowing what you know now?

I must admit that at times I look at my huge double boiler machine and giant Mazzer gumball machine and start thinking, "I only make 4 shots a day (max). What the hell was I thinking?"
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

Bushrod

#2: Post by Bushrod »

Nope. No way.
Rich A

LMWDP #131

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

I probably would do better with a machine such as the Alexia/PID, given that I make few milk drinks.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Psyd

#4: Post by Psyd »

Endo wrote: "I only make 4 shots a day (max). What the hell was I thinking?"
geddouddamyhead, geddouddamyhead, gedddouddamyhead!

I do have to say that having the great huge 14 liter hot water heater on tap is a nice convenience, but I'd settle for a one-group that's allowed to run 24-7 without cryin' about it that doesn't, a. require three friends to lift, b. heat the entire kitchen (except in winter!) and, c. block access to most of a pair of kitchen cabinets.

I just swapped my Silvia setup with my Tin Man Factory setup at my GF's house. Does that count?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Endo (original poster)

#5: Post by Endo (original poster) »

sweaner wrote:I probably would do better with a machine such as the Alexia/PID, given that I make few milk drinks.
Funny you should say that.

Knowing what I know now, I would stop at a Alexia/PID and a Baratza Vario combo. Small footprint. No overkill. Great taste. Half the price.

My milk drinks would slow down but heck.... the guests are happy with drip as long as it's topped with whipped cream.
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

Wives (it's mostly wives) provide a much-needed reality check before stupid purchases. I would bet good money that the kitchen counters of most married coffee nuts look way different from those of their single brethren.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Psyd

#7: Post by Psyd »

Marshall wrote:I would bet good money that the kitchen counters of most married coffee nuts look way different from those of their single brethren.
They're cleaner, and fewer motorcycle/bicycle repair tools and empty beer bottles on them? Cookbooks instead of repair manuals and hardware catalogs?

Sucker bet Marshal, no fair! ; >

Oddly enough, though, my GF has sacrificed enough counter space to bake a cake on for my Silvia Rocky combo, (recently replaced, see above post) and has made no comment about it even though the new roommate doesn't drink coffee, and she's had to give it up in favour of tea.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

JonR10

#8: Post by JonR10 »

Marshall wrote:I would bet good money that the kitchen counters of most married coffee nuts look way different from those of their single brethren.
My coffee stuff moved off the kitchen counter to a dedicated bar before I met my wife, and now we just keep it that way. Moving into a new house allowed me to upgrade the whole bar area (the wife was totally on board for it). But now she thinks I should trade the stainless table for a finished wood cabinet-bar with a granite top to match the rest of the kitchen (I have an amazing, awesome, fabulous wife :mrgreen: ).

I've happily had the same machine for almost 4 years, and if I had wanted to downgrade I could have done so by now. We entertain frequently so it's nice for me to have a plumbed in HX machine, makes lovely hot chocolate for the kids too. The only move I could see for myself would be a plumbed-in single group DB machine (maybe a Synesso? or perhaps a paddle group Linea?).

Downgrade? Probably not for me.
I have a smaller HX on the shelf in the pantry for a backup. It's nice (Olympia/Pasquini Livietta) but I wouldn't trade my Wega for it. That would leave my 6-foot long espresso bar looking kinda empty.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Bluecold

#9: Post by Bluecold »

Endo wrote: I must admit that at times I look at my huge double boiler machine and giant Mazzer gumball machine and start thinking, "I only make 4 shots a day (max). What the hell was I thinking?"
Make singles. Then you're making 8 shots a day. For making that much you certainly need fancy equipment.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Bob_McBob

#10: Post by Bob_McBob »

I make enough milk drinks that a Silvia or the like would be extremely annoying. When I was deciding which machine to buy, it was pretty much down to either an HX like the Andreja Premium, or a Duetto/Mini Vivaldi. The difference between $1700 and $2300 isn't TOO bad -- they're both pretty damn expensive.

I am happy I went with the dual boiler Duetto. I can leave the machine on all day and make espresso whenever I want. The steam boiler heats up in less than 10 minutes if anyone wants a milk drink. Plus, I don't have to worry about temperature control, but that wasn't a huge factor when I purchased the machine.
Chris