DIY Copper/Brass Tube Repair Tips

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bm_cricket

#1: Post by bm_cricket »

Hi Buddies!

I'm restoring a 1960s Nuova Simonelli and at some point they mangled the tube running from the boiler dip tube to the CMA style lever group on one of the two group heads. My machine isn't in front of me at the moment but the part looks like this one:

I'll take a few photos of the parts on the machine soon. My question to everyone is this... How do I make a new one? The part shown here seems to have been "repaired" in a similar way to mine. It even shows similar lime buildup from leaks. The correct fitting at the back side of the group head is a 3/8" BSPT tapered male (female on the group) and the boiler needs a 3/8" brass nipple with a 3/8" BSPP nut. I can find most of the parts here: https://www.espressocare.com/products/f ... r-products

But I can't find the BSPT fitting. This one is similar: https://www.automec.co.uk/collections/b ... r-3-8-pipe

Now... hive mind, how do I do this correctly the first time? I don't want to burn through a bunch of parts learning to do it. I have access to MAP gas but I'm not very experienced with it. I have done soldering for electronics but never brazing. I know I need to use high silver solder... but please give me tips, advice, suggestions, etc.

Thank you!
Life is short, enjoy every sip.

bm_cricket (original poster)

#2: Post by bm_cricket (original poster) »

FYI, my latest machine is very similar this one: 1974 Nuova Simonelli Commercial Lever Project

...However mine looks pretty ugly. I'll need to do something about that.
Life is short, enjoy every sip.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Sweating pipes is easy. Key is the correct tube to fitting size obviously.They should friction fit or nearly friction fit together before you solder. If the fitting is a little tight and difficult to get on just heat the tube a little. It will expand a hair and you can put the fitting on. Just rub the fitting with a little 400 grit sand paper, or even 220 to clean and scuff it. Wipe on a healthy dose of flux and push it on the tube. Then heat the tube/fitting union with your MAP. Try to do it evenly all the way around the tube. Once the tube/fitting are good and smoking hot pull the MAP away and touch the solder to the union between the two parts. The parts should be hot enough to melt the solder without the flame being on it. It will melt and wick in. Let it cool and pressure test for leaks. If it leaks just heat it up with the torch again and touch it with a little more solder.

If you really mess it up, then you can just heat the union up, grab the fitting with pliers and pull it off the tube. Cut the tube back with a small pipe cutter (you can get them at the auto parts store for cutting break lines) de-burrs the inside and outside of the newly cut pipe and do over.
Dave Stephens