Did I damage the heating element?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Derryisreal
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Derryisreal »

I don't know what came over me, but after I pulled my morning shot and switched off my machine completely (ECM Puristika) I decided to lift the brew lever to see if any (or how much) water will come out with the pump off. To my surprise (I guess I shouldn't have been surprised :idea: ) water did flow for about a minute or so (I assume due to the boiler being hot and pressurized). Then it occurred to me that I might expose the heating element and I lowered the brew lever close. After a minute or so, I turned the machine back on and immediately engaged the pump, so as to fill up the boiler, but water did not flow for a 30 or 40 seconds or so.

I realize what I did was dumb, and I am now worried if the brief period it took for the water to fill up the boiler completely might have caused any damage to the heating element. :shock:

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Light roasts are to me what garlic is to vampires.

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Even when steaming, there's a fair amount of water above the heating element. Opening the brew valve with the pump off as you did pushed out some water because of water expansion, but absolutely not enough to expose the heating element.
Dan Kehn

Derryisreal (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

Thank you, Dan, much appreciated!

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Plinyyounger »

I did the same thing one time, left the lever up over night after cleaning. Woke up the next morning and it was still up but no water coming out. My machine was a Profitec. Not sure if the machine had a safety valve or something. But after shutting it down completely and restarting it with the lever in the correct position, all was just fine.
Family, coffee and fun.

Derryisreal (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

Thanks, Dan!

borrik

#6: Post by borrik »

Usually there is a water level probe that prevent heating when no water (and trigger refill process).

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

To clarify for those reading this discussion, the OP has an ECM Puristika, which has a single brew boiler that's aways full. It doesn't steam and I cannot think of a way to expose the heating element to air.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
guijan12

#8: Post by guijan12 »

And even if it was exposed, the machine was off.
And the heating element should have been cooled down enough by the hot water, to prevent damage, because of the heat left in it.
Regards,

Guido