Descaling still necessary if using pre-filter water?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
dkny3939

#1: Post by dkny3939 »

Is it still necessary to descale if one is putting only filtered water in the water tank, such as water filtered with a Brita filter? Or perhaps the frequency of descaling can go from every 2-3 months (generally recommended) to let say 5-6 months?

rbh1515

#2: Post by rbh1515 »

This question is difficult to answer. It depends on how hard the water is that is going in after it is filtered. If you took my well water and ran it through a Brita, you would have to descale. If you took my dad's tap water in Seattle, you wouldn't have to. I think that descaling machines is not a great practice. My philosophy is to put good water into the machine so you don't have to descale. I use RO water, and then add the Formulator from Cirqua. Cirqua just went out of business and another company took over the product, so its still available.
Rob

allon

#3: Post by allon »

Filters typically won't get dissolved minerals;
That said, Brita filters will soften water a little but, but they don't advertise that.

Frequency depends on how hard your water is going into the filter/machine and how much steam you use. I have soft water, and hardly ever steam.
LMWDP #331

dkny3939 (original poster)

#4: Post by dkny3939 (original poster) »

I am in NYC, I think our water is quite good around here. How does steaming effect the need for descaling?

allon

#5: Post by allon »

Steam is H2O, leaving any dissolved minerals behind in the boiler, increasing the mineral concentration of the boiler water.
The minerals don't evaporate.
LMWDP #331

ampguy

#6: Post by ampguy »

Global Water (or something like that) did acquire Cirqua's assets, but it's not clear if they will be reselling the same things.

That said, Cirqua was already packaging other's solutions (e.g. RO device is a Nimbus 800).

I'd recommend to get a TDS meter, hardness strips, and ph strips to test your water to know where you're at. These items should cost less than $50 total. Different water supplies in NYC can be very different based on location, indoor plumbing, flush cycles, etc.

The SCAA and WBA water and extraction specs are nice guidelines for coffee and espresso, but not necessarily the "golden" solution for everyone's taste.

Also, bottled water can be all over the place. I've found Aquafina to usually be in the single digits for TDS, and mineral waters often having more hardness and higher TDS than some city tap water. I recommend measuring, rather than going by certain brand names of bottled water.

rbh1515 wrote:This question is difficult to answer. It depends on how hard the water is that is going in after it is filtered. If you took my well water and ran it through a Brita, you would have to descale. If you took my dad's tap water in Seattle, you wouldn't have to. I think that descaling machines is not a great practice. My philosophy is to put good water into the machine so you don't have to descale. I use RO water, and then add the Formulator from Cirqua. Cirqua just went out of business and another company took over the product, so its still available.
Rob

LaDan

#7: Post by LaDan »

As per my dealer, who is very familiar with NYC water, you don't need to worry about descaling. The water in the city are very soft. Maybe in a few years you'll need to descale.

dkny3939 (original poster)

#8: Post by dkny3939 (original poster) »

Yeah, NYC is reputed to have one of the best water supply of any large city in the US. I used to live in Salt Lake City. The tea kettle I used back them developed a thick layer of zinc scaling within a few months of use.

rbh1515

#9: Post by rbh1515 »

ampguy wrote:Global Water (or something like that) did acquire Cirqua's assets, but it's not clear if they will be reselling the same things.
Global Customized Water is selling the formulator packets. I have ordered some from them. There is an authorized LM repair guy in my area (and fortunately I have never had to use him) and he said if I used the RO with the Formulator packets, I would not need to descale.
Rob

shawndo

#10: Post by shawndo »

I tested my water (Hell's Kitchen area) a couple months ago. It's solidly in the 40-50 ppm area. I've talked to one local quality coffee shop, and they claimed to not treat their water at all. It might be true for others as well.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra