Descaling Alex Duetto II--instructions or How-to Videos?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
RecontraBacan

#1: Post by RecontraBacan »

I'm looking for some advice/instructions on how to properly descale my Izzo Alex Duetto II. I've searched for articles and forum threads on this website and elsewhere, but can't find any. I've watched the SeattleCoffeeGear video on descaling an HX machine, but I remember a shouting/warning from Chris about not descaling the steam boiler, but to deactivate it and just run the Dezcal (or other chemical) through the brew boiler. Although I might have misinterpreted Chris, and he may have just been warning me not to over-descale the machine too often. I also remember there used to be links on Chris' website to maintenance videos and guides, but I can't seem to find them through his website. Can anyone direct me to a good How-to guide or video on the subject of descaling an E-61 dual boiler machine like the Duetto? I live in Oregon where the water is actually much softer than is ideal, but I assume I still should be descaling at least once per year--even if there's no significant scale build up. I assume there's internal gunk of one form or another.

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Maybe it would be a better idea to see if the machine even needs to be descaled (which I doubt) :
Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

RecontraBacan (original poster)

#3: Post by RecontraBacan (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice and the link. I'll do just that.

Mike

Dieter01

#4: Post by Dieter01 »

I use the hot water tap on the Duetto a lot for brewed coffee. Last week the water flow was (quite suddenly) obstructed / reduced. The pressure reading for the steam boiler is not affected, it is still about 1.5 bar.

I am not sure what cause this but I have assumed it was scale that came off inside the steam boiler and moved down stream to plug my tap. I just purchased some citric acid that I intended to clean the inside of the steam boiler with... Is that not a good idea?

floydo

#5: Post by floydo replying to Dieter01 »

Why not take the wand off, and check it for flow? Then you can take the valve off and check it as well. Perhaps it is scale, which entails descaling, but it also could be some other obstruction. You can pretty much drain the steam tank by turning off the heating element, opening the water tap. Then remove the steam tank temp sensor from the top and look inside. Really though, check out the valve/wand makes sense, since it is quick to do.
Cheers