Descale Used 2 Group Slayer (V2)?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
chrisbodnarphoto

#1: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I recently acquired an absolutely lovely V2 2 group Slayer from a wonderful cafe owner down in Ann Arbor MI, and I couldn't be more excited/thrilled to start experimenting on this beast!

I know descaling has been discussed prior, but I'm a little curious as to what some thoughts might be in regards to this particular machine. It has 4 tanks (steam tank, pre-brew tank, and 2 brand new/never used V3 brew tanks that were just installed), and has only been used with custom blended RO water. I did notice a bit of orangish buildup when I drained the steam tank, but there were only a few flecks and right as the tank was hitting its low point (I drained the tank cool, not while warm/hot, so no pressure from steam in the tank to shoot every last drop out of the tank).

The machine was used for 2-3ish years in a busy cafe and never previously descaled since the owner didn't feel the need (mix of custom water and 'if it ain't broke' led to that decision).

Thoughts or feelings about descaling in this circumstance? Is there anything I should look out for to help determine whether or not I should? If yes, do I aim to descale the steam + pre-brew tank? I presume all tanks/lines will be affected once the group is flushed anyways?

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

No help/opinion on Slayer descale best practice sorry. Just curious, is this intended for your home use? :shock:
Mike McGinness

chrisbodnarphoto (original poster)

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto (original poster) replying to Compass Coffee »

That's a long story!

The mobile biz we were planning in Toronto is now off the table since we purchased a house 2 hours outside of town on a whim and will be moving there this Fall. Our 1 group Slayer is set to arrive next week, but will be sold off straight away along with a Peak that should arrive at the same time.

We are planning on converting the repurposed church on our property into an incredible AirBNB space (the area we're moving to has very high tourism traffic), and we want to have a private coffee program for our guests (and us!). The new kitchen is quite large and has plenty of space for it, and with the price we got it for (essentially cheaper than a Pro 700) I couldn't say no! He regretted the price as I walked out the door. :)

There's also some research into opening a multipurpose space in our area, centered around a cafe, and the machine can simply be used there when the time comes. Not to mention I can trade the V2 + $8000 and get a brand-spankin-new V3 2 group with full warranty. Essentially a V3 for half price. :)

So - yes - for now, it will be used at home! And yes - I'm nuts!

EDIT :: to stay OT, do you descale your machines at any of your cafes? Or just run them into the ground, so to speak?

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

chrisbodnarphoto wrote:EDIT :: to stay OT, do you descale your machines at any of your cafes? Or just run them into the ground, so to speak?
Yes every year or so do preventative through the tank citric acid descale solution. Which makes for a long night after closing before opening hours!
Mike McGinness

#5: Post by chrisbodnarphoto (original poster) replying to Compass Coffee »

OK wonderful - I'll do some research into good solutions and might go that route. I'll talk with the tech folks at Slayer about the correct procedure etc, and am happy to share here if anyone cares.

Thanks for humoring my insanity by the way - I've been loving on your S vs V posts!

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee »

chrisbodnarphoto wrote:So - yes - for now, it will be used at home! And yes - I'm nuts!
If I understand correctly you scored that puppy for around $2500 more or less. No not nuts IMO! Or if nuts my kind of nuts. :wink:
Mike McGinness

#7: Post by chrisbodnarphoto (original poster) replying to Compass Coffee »

Close - $3000, including a box full of spare parts (including PIDs) and enough o-rings, seals, and most everything I'd need to keep the machine running in a busy environment for at least a couple of years. They even walked me through the disassembly/replacement/reassembly of the group heads and all parts inside.

I seem to have a knack for finding great deals - my last find was a used-once-or-twice 2 group PB (with laser film still attached!) I scored locally for $6400 USD. Drove it straight to IDC and traded it for the 1 group Slayer + Peak.

And I think any of us willing to buy a Slayer are the same kind of nuts! The best kind if you ask me! ;)

arcus
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by arcus »

Congrats on the purchase. That was indeed a good buy. I was debating getting it myself but I just don't have the room for a 2 group.

What area did you move to? Was it PEC?

#9: Post by chrisbodnarphoto (original poster) replying to arcus »

Thanks! And thank you for not scooping it up before I could! It was completely worth the drive + the border headaches afterwards (an entirely other story).

Correct - will be moving to PEC (just outside of Wellington) at the end of October. Are you familiar?

On a side note :: great to see someone local that has an L1 AND Titus - both objects of high desire for me!

arcus
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by arcus replying to chrisbodnarphoto »

I'm not that familiar with PEC but I know enough to know that it's the hot spot right now for people moving out of the city and the wine is getting better and better. Congrats on the upcoming move.