Decent Espresso v1.1 shipping! - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Davidm

#81: Post by Davidm »

Oh, I was also going to comment about the iterative nature of the software...

Think of it as you would update your smart phone. Some people will update on day 1 others will wait and see if there is any noise. For the fun of it, I have been a day 1 upgrader. What I can say is that I haven't had an upgrade yet that hurt my ability to make good coffee or bricked the machine.

I feel that since I am part of the first 300 owners, I have a duty to quickly try the update and provide feedback... :)
If ever, there is a problem and am not patient enough to wait 24 hrs for the fix, I can always copy down the version of the software on the website.

So if someone follows a n-1 approach, I would argue that the updates is not a big deal...

Spitz.me

#82: Post by Spitz.me » replying to Davidm »

Iterative software is easy enough to come to terms with. I'm not afraid of updating electronics. I was more speaking to the iterative nature of the machines production including it's physical components. I think that regardless, the machine will continue to make fantastic espresso, but the software will become more complicated to update if physical components start to change.

Down the line in v5, for instance, will v1 machines receive updates? This is the kind of thing I'm thinking about. The other question is, does it matter if it can still make fantastic espresso? It doesn't really, but will I feel the want to move to a v5 machine? Probably.

Thanks for your feedback!
LMWDP #670

pcrussell50

#83: Post by pcrussell50 »

At times I look at what he charges for various accessories, and it seems like a lot. Seems. But digging deeper, for things that are sold elsewhere, such as IMS shower screens, he charges market rate, not ripoff rates. So maybe the expensive DE accessories are actually reasonably priced.

While I was snooping around on DE last night I got to comparing the 'Plus vs. the 'Pro and all I could get from reading the descriptions was that the 'Pro has some more robust internals guaranteed for 200,000 shots versus the 'Plus which is guaranteed for 10,000. There was nothing I could find in the way of performance differences. Is that actually true? Or did I miss something?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

MrEd

#84: Post by MrEd »

pcrussell50 wrote: While I was snooping around on DE last night I got to comparing the 'Plus vs. the 'Pro and all I could get from reading the descriptions was that the 'Pro has some more robust internals guaranteed for 200,000 shots versus the 'Plus which is guaranteed for 10,000. There was nothing I could find in the way of performance differences. Is that actually true? Or did I miss something?
Performance is the same. In addition to the better internals and guarantee, the Pro also comes with the catering, plumbing and drain kits. These allow tank refills from a water container or pressurized line, and a plumbed drain tray. These kits originally were only available with the Pro, but are now optional add-ons for the Plus as well.

rimblas (original poster)

#85: Post by rimblas (original poster) »

Actually, there was an announcement on FB that the DE1PRO will start selling without the Refill Kit also.
The changes to the website have started, although I think there will be more in the following days.
You can now see the DE1+ at $2499 (but still unavailable) and the DE1PRO at $2899 (sans Refill Kits) ! 8)

Also, on FB this morning "I have about 100 slightly scratched plumbing and catering kits available. I'm discounting them 25%. "
That's a great deal to get a DE1PRO and then add the kit you need at a discount. For a device that's mostly out of sight (the refill kits that is), that's a fabulous discount.

Fluffeepuff
Supporter ♡

#86: Post by Fluffeepuff »

Spitz.me wrote:Iterative software is easy enough to come to terms with. I'm not afraid of updating electronics. I was more speaking to the iterative nature of the machines production including it's physical components. I think that regardless, the machine will continue to make fantastic espresso, but the software will become more complicated to update if physical components start to change.

Down the line in v5, for instance, will v1 machines receive updates? This is the kind of thing I'm thinking about. The other question is, does it matter if it can still make fantastic espresso? It doesn't really, but will I feel the want to move to a v5 machine? Probably.

Thanks for your feedback!
I asked John the same thing - he said the h/w baseline won't be changing for a while (and he currently has no plan to change it)... so if there was a "v2", I'm thinking a couple years out. Can't know for certain.

Donguanella
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by Donguanella »

I asked John the same thing - he said the h/w baseline won't be changing for a while (and he currently has no plan to change it)... so if there was a "v2", I'm thinking a couple years out. Can't know for certain.
I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about the DE1+/DE1PRO. Members of this group are constantly talking about the difference in hardware between the 1.0 machine and the 1.1 machine. And waiting out for the next incremental release of hardware. I myself got lost in this nuance and definitely delayed my purchase of the machine because of this discussion.

In reality, (generally) I don't think that the hardware incremental release makes an appreciable difference in your day-to-day usage of the machine, what ends up in the cup, or the longevity of the machine.

What does make a huge difference in your day to day usage, what ends up in the cup, and the perceived longevity of the machine is the software. The software experience is the majority of the touchpoint with this machine. Which is ever evolving. And provides the same exact experience regardless of your hardware level.

Fluffeepuff
Supporter ♡

#88: Post by Fluffeepuff » replying to Donguanella »

I should have also clarified that there will be a v1.3 coming out.. I was talking more about v2.x type of releases. But amen on the software.

Iowa_Boy

#89: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Donguanella wrote:I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about the DE1+/DE1PRO. Members of this group are constantly talking about the difference in hardware between the 1.0 machine and the 1.1 machine. And waiting out for the next incremental release of hardware. I myself got lost in this nuance and definitely delayed my purchase of the machine because of this discussion.

In reality, (generally) I don't think that the hardware incremental release makes an appreciable difference in your day-to-day usage of the machine, what ends up in the cup, or the longevity of the machine.

What does make a huge difference in your day to day usage, what ends up in the cup, and the perceived longevity of the machine is the software. The software experience is the majority of the touchpoint with this machine. Which is ever evolving. And provides the same exact experience regardless of your hardware level.
Yes, I am one of those that is guilty of hardware delay upgraditis. I know the software on the current version is already highly advanced and beyond what I need, and further hardware versions will only make a small difference in day to day usage. That said, I want to see a few more details of what the grouphead controller looks like with V1.3. My hope is that it will also a manual flow control experience somewhat like a Slayer/Lelit as an option. If that is the case, then it will have been worth the wait for me to have both tablet and physical control. I seem to recall reading that there would be some sort of flow control on the grouphead controller, but maybe that is incorrect. If that isn't the case or if it is significantly delayed (and we should know more in the coming months), then I will happily order the current version. I already have a small collection of Decent products, all of which are outstanding.

Fluffeepuff
Supporter ♡

#90: Post by Fluffeepuff » replying to Iowa_Boy »

I recommend you email John. The v1.3 concept images he showed me do not have an obvious way to do that, but I think he's working towards something similar based on capacitive touch. He will be able to tell you what he's trying to get to for capability vs just getting UL approval. I'm probably going for the v1.1 unless the MAX that I'm waiting to order syncs with the v1.3 pre-orders