Decent Espresso Machines Shipping - Page 25

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?

When do you expect your espresso machine from Decent Espresso?

Poll ended at April 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm

In a matter of weeks
9%
Within the next 2 months
12%
Within the next 6 months
19%
Not sure
16%
Not interested
44%

Total votes: 68

r7

#241: Post by r7 »

When I make milk based drinks, I always steam first. While steaming I can grind into the portafilter and be ready to distribute and tamp so that I can pull the shot shortly after I am done steaming. Since heating is on-demand, there is no wait time between steaming, running hot water for an Americano, or pulling a shot. You can instantly switch from mode to mode even if the americano water and your espresso shot water have different temps. I much prefer having the steamed milk sit for a minute or two, which harms it not at all, rather than have my espresso shot wait while I steam.

The basecamp user group has lots of parameter sharing and diagnosing going on.

rimblas

#242: Post by rimblas »

JayBeck wrote:How is your routine making milk based drinks?
I've always done espresso and then milk. Or steam towards the end of the shot. But now I'm considering exploring the opposite.
Since I'm happy looking at the chart and stats, it doesn't bother me (yet).

Advertisement
syncroz

#243: Post by syncroz »

JayBeck wrote:To 110V users:

What is your preferred method of making milk drinks and does it bother you having to wait to steam? John says to make the espresso first and then the milk. This is what I have historically done on my Pro 500 and BDB because I LOVE watching the bottomless shot develop. However, I do like the option of steaming at the same time when I am making several drinks in a row.

Concerning the software and updates-- can you share profiles on the app for different coffees in a social media type way? So someone dials in a really great shot of some coffee that you can then buy, use their exact parameters, and taste the same thing? I think that would be very cool if the interface works right.

I steam the milk after my shot on the DE1+. While my shot is pulling, i pour 100ml of milk into a pitcher as the shot finishes, I press the Steam button, and within seconds of the shot ending my milk is frothing. It's done in 18 seconds. I wipe the wand down and add the milk to the coffee. Even with milk for a couple of shots, you're looking at maybe 30 seconds of steaming.

The social media sharing isn't quite there yet in an easy way, but it is coming. In the meantime it's easy to share the recipe parameters in a sentence or two, and then anyone reading can create the profile in the editor to match.

sleedy9

#244: Post by sleedy9 »

Sorry if this is derailing the thread but curious if any current users have thoughts on whether the improvements with version 1.3 are worth waiting on.

I ask because John has made some DE1+ (with longer lasting internals) available immediately and I'm debating whether to try and get my hands on one now or wait until January when they've made the improvements for version 1.3. I'm in no big rush necessarily to get the machine but also wouldn't mind getting it sooner if current users don't think the 1.3 hardware upgrades are really that significant.

Thanks!

NoStream

#245: Post by NoStream replying to sleedy9 »

I have a v1 and love it. Would add that production estimates tend to slip (DE is no exception). The deal right now for the Pro model at the regular price is a good one.

rimblas

#246: Post by rimblas »

sleedy9 wrote:I ask because John has made some DE1+ (with longer lasting internals) available immediately
I think the way you phrased this implies you're perfectly aware, but these are DE1PRO machines (without the plumbing kit) that you can get right now at DE1+ price. That's a great deal!
I own one of them, and I love it. You do have to deal with some software glitches and the machine has a learning curve.
If you wait you would get software that's been refined with more features and better usability. Some hardware refinements (like improved group head). There will be buttons on the group head to trigger brew, water, steam, & flush.
I like the button idea, but I don't like that you will always have to use them. They will confirm the selected command on the tablet. MIxed feelings about them.
It's a difficult personal decision.
All I can say is that for me, the machine is very well sorted out for a v1.0 (of anything).

Headala

#247: Post by Headala replying to rimblas »

Yes, all of this, exactly.

If I didn't already have one I would jump on the current PRO deal. I personally don't think any of the upcoming improvements would warrant me wanting to wait for 1.3.

Advertisement
Prescott CR

#248: Post by Prescott CR replying to Headala »

Ditto. Had I not found the deal I did when I did I would jump on one of these machines too.
-Richard

sleedy9

#249: Post by sleedy9 »

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Given the overwhelming responses to go for it I did. Ah can't wait, now just hope I can snag a MAX when those finally go on preorder :)

JayBeck

#250: Post by JayBeck »

Headala wrote:Yes, all of this, exactly.

If I didn't already have one I would jump on the current PRO deal. I personally don't think any of the upcoming improvements would warrant me wanting to wait for 1.3.
While I do want to jump on this, soupy pucks are a major turnoff that v1.1 fixes. Also, v1.3 should have better heating power for quicker warm up and more powerful steam. I think the new heater is backwards compatible but not the new group head.